store bought shrimp

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yes raw shrimp from the seafood department. For a long time, I bought the regular size shrimp raw. Pick a couple out at a time and blend them, or pick them into tiny pieces by hand. I fed my lps on those for about a year with great results.

And make sure they are not fresh water shrimp. Yep some of the large shrimp sold in the seafood dept are imported fresh water shrimp.

Marlin,
Boy your coons are lucky. All I feed my coons is lead :-0
I also buy razor clams from Costco's seafood side show. The are like $2 or $3 a pound.

lol its only like .30 worth just going to toss it out in the field next door. but thanks for the costco idea i forgot they have a good selection now. i could go for some of there pizza to. mmmmm

funny... they look at u funny when you want to buy .18 cents worth of shrimp.... lol One shrimp, the lady looked at me funny... i had to explain it was for my fish tank,

Read the top post in Lee Birch's forum

Yeah I've read it...try arguing with the millions of people that use PE mysis or pellet foods made with garlic. What Lee states is that presentation is the key and hopefully you can get the fish to eat. As far as feeding corals...well there is a post showing an acan eating a fly which I am sure is not it's "intended" food; it doesn't mean that it won't eat it or that it is not nutritious.

Yeah I've read it...try arguing with the millions of people that use PE mysis or pellet foods made with garlic. What Lee states is that presentation is the key and hopefully you can get the fish to eat. As far as feeding corals...well there is a post showing an acan eating a fly which I am sure is not it's "intended" food; it doesn't mean that it won't eat it or that it is not nutritious.

But then why use fresh water shrimp when in the bin next to them is a saltwater one. And just because other people do something dosent mean I have to or its is right. Its always best to try to feed any animal as close to what it would eat in the wild.

But then why use fresh water shrimp when in the bin next to them is a saltwater one. And just because other people do something dosent mean I have to or its is right. Its always best to try to feed any animal as close to what it would eat in the wild.

FRESHWATER MYSIS (Mysis relicta)
This eliminates the possibility of parasite or disease transfer to marine fish.

SODIUM FREE
As fish don't need to eliminate excess salt, it's easier on their systems. Most other brands offer a coastal, or marine cousin of Mysis relicta.

Above are some reasons to start with...

FRESHWATER MYSIS (Mysis relicta)
This eliminates the possibility of parasite or disease transfer to marine fish.

SODIUM FREE
As fish don't need to eliminate excess salt, it's easier on their systems. Most other brands offer a coastal, or marine cousin of Mysis relicta.

Above are some reasons to start with...

And where did this quote come from? Something tells me from PE site which would make it all markiting. Would not freezing food first also kill most Parasits? Please reread Lee's write up. He covers why you should not feed freshwater animals to a marine system

And where did this quote come from? Something tells me from PE site which would make it all markiting. Would not freezing food first also kill most Parasits? Please reread Lee's write up. He covers why you should not feed freshwater animals to a marine system

I think you should expand your mind a bit. I have read his post. Think about how many animals people own that are not eating what they were intended to eat. Horses eat grains that would never have been introduced to them. Dogs and cats?? Do you think the vitamins and supplements that we feed to our fish are normal doses? The fact is that we will introduce many things in many ways to many animals, including us, and we just have to measure the benefits to risks and try to minimize the risks without minimizing too many benefits.

My mind is way more open then you think. I m one of the few that reads labels on all food that is feed to my animals. In fact I have my dogs on a somewhat raw food (Barf) diet. Again I did the reaserch on what the would have eaten in the wild. With dogs Beef would have not been a main item along with corn and wheat. And wolfs usually eat the stomache of the pray. So take into consideration what the pray ate also.

And with that said there are not too many freshwater items that a marine animal wood eat. So again I ask why feed a freshwater shrimp when saltwater ones are available and better for them.

I am not set in my ways and do not put out items as fact unless I can back it up with research papers. Way toooo mush of this aquarium world is based on what people think works based on what their freinds told them.

Like garlic controls Ich.

Back