Storing Calcium Chloride

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kinerson

I was wondering how long you can store Calcium Chloride and how. Old air tight salt bucket? For years and years?

Thanks,
Greg

It does need to be in an air tight container, otherwise it will just absorb moisture and turn into a watery mess. Preferably vacu sealed if your going to store it for a long time.

Don

Don- Thanks for the reply.
Can you vacu seal 50lbs worth? I guess you would need to make up alot of smaller bags?
Greg
BTW Did you ever start using the Tetra product? I think you mentioned possibly purchasing a pallet and storing it at work or something. I'm just about to run out of my old Dow and need to do something.

Don- Thanks for the reply.
Can you vacu seal 50lbs worth? I guess you would need to make up alot of smaller bags?
Greg
BTW Did you ever start using the Tetra product? I think you mentioned possibly purchasing a pallet and storing it at work or something. I'm just about to run out of my old Dow and need to do something.

I'm getting a barrel at the end of Feb, I'm just waiting since I dont need it at the moment. I will probably break it up into IO buckets or something. This barrell is the only way they will sell it to me, but I did open an account so it should be easy to get on demand.

Don

So what is the actual Tetra product you selected? Do you think the IO buckets will store it long term?
Greg

So what is the actual Tetra product you selected? Do you think the IO buckets will store it long term?
Greg

The food grade stuff. I doubt IO buckets will work for real long term if you open and close them frequently. Ive got some (30lbs) dow flake in IO screw top buckets in my shed thats been there for 6mo. Last week it was fine when I dosed my hot tub.

Don

The Tetra sales rep told me that the food grade was like 10x's more expensive. Was he right or wrong?
Greg

Back