Strange Critter Identification

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Vicki

Anemone
I just found more strange critters in one of my separate Nano tanks. This is an Aquapod with the curved glass and the critters are on the left, back wall. I apologize for the quality of the pictures and the reflections.

These critters are over an inch long and seem to be able to move and reattach quite easily. They are worm-like.

Does anyone know what they are? Are they good or bad? If bad, how do I get rid of them? There's around 50 of them so far.

Thanks,
Vicki

Vicky i wish i could help you but i have no clue on what they are :( .
I hope someone can tell you what they're

they look like the things that your flame scallops use to attatch themselves to solid surfaces. sorry I don't know the technical name for them.

I just tried to get a few more pictures, but same problem with the curved glass. I'm beginning to wonder if they could be baby scallops? I got these two pictures where many seem to be coming out of the upper scallop.

Kraut! said:
they look like the things that your flame scallops use to attatch themselves to solid surfaces. sorry I don't know the technical name for them.
Byssal threads is what your looking for. FWIW, I agree with you, that's what they look like.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
Byssal threads is what your looking for. FWIW, I agree with you, that's what they look like.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the identification Steve and Kraut!

I'm still confused through. Why are these all over the tank? Do scallops just leave them behind as they move around? They appear to be alive, but I suppose that could just be from the water movement. Should I remove them from the tank? Are they good or bad?

Thanks!
Vicki

Yes, the scallop will sever them as needed when it wants to move to a new location.

They are neither good or bad, they're just left over from the scallop as it anchors itself. They don't need to be removed although you can if they bother you. The threads will eventually degrade and dissapear on their own. Just be sure if you do remove them not to disturb the scallop if close by. It may damage the scallop or cause it to relocate unneccessarily.

You might find this article of interest:
Flame scallops

Cheers
Steve

Back