strange things abrewin' in my skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ngreenaway

so for the previous week or two it seems my skimmer has seen a reduction in skimmate it was producing
last night i checked on it and it wasnt bubbling at all, simply pumping water though it
because it had been a couple months since id serviced it, i pulled it apart, cleaned the inside+all component parts, put the whole thing back in the sump and it started skimming once again
this morning i looked in on it, and it was producing *blue* skimmate
ive been using the same alkalinity/calcium supplements for the past year or two , so thats no different. no other additives used recently
changed the GFO a couple days ago, but i cant see that turning skimmate sky blue
any ideas?
thanx
nick

ocean nutrition formula 2 flakes
dainichi marine fx pellets

frozen mysis from time to time, but the foods havent been changed recently

The internet hints at this being from Kent Essential Elements. You use that? Wondering if the cleaning skimmer pulled more than "normal" from the water.
Just a quick google search of "blue skimmate" brought up a bunch of results, so its not all that insane. There was even one from this site from way back forever ago.

it is the color of essential elements, i use their salt, but ran out of EE about a month ago and never bothered replenishing.
i did a 30% water change last night, it was due anyway, gonna keep an eye on my skimmate

Back