Strange worms all over tank???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bengeeee

UPDATE PICTURES!!!!

3449%3A42%3B23232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D879%3D%3C8%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3A%3B398%3A47%3Aot1lsi

3449%3A35923232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D879%3D%3C8%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3A%3B398%3A492ot1lsi

3449%3A35923232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D879%3D%3C8%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3A%3B398%3A496ot1lsi

3449%3A35923232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D879%3D%3C8%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3A%3B398%3A4%3A3ot1lsi

the bottome ones are of the ones i was talking about. Its hard to see but they have numerous tentacles that are usually free flowing in the water.

The first one is what i am guess is a fire or bristle worm.

Not sure of eithers "reefsafeness"
So from the pics you can tell that i have at least two types of worms. I saw one of the spiny ones before but didnt realize they were everywhere. Can i get some positive ids???

Thanks guys,

Ben

We'll i have these strange worms all over my tank.

I havent been able to find a pic on the net that is just like them but i'll try to describe them since i cant get a pic with my digi cam.

They are anchored in somewhat like spaghetti worms i guess. They are orangish/redish clear in color with little black spots every few milimeters. I would say the longest one a few inches but most are only a cm or so. They are trapping large bits of food and slowly consuming it. They are all about a mm wide.

What the heck are these guys and are they ok? They look like medusa the greek myth (couldnt find a decent medusa worm pic) but i dont know.

Any help guys? Sorry i cant get a pic.

Thanks,

Ben

UPDATE\

Last edited:
I have no idea what in the world you are talking about, but it sounds scarry! (LOL) I wouldn't panic just yet though because,even though theey look like Medusa, they may not be that bad. I'm sure someone like maybe Steve (Wrightme49) my know what you are reffering to...Sorry I can't really help.

krish75 said:
I have no idea what in the world you are talking about, but it sounds scarry! (LOL) I wouldn't panic just yet though because,even though theey look like Medusa, they may not be that bad. I'm sure someone like maybe Steve (Wrightme49) my know what you are reffering to...Sorry I can't really help.

thats ok thanks for the referral :)

hey i think it might be this thing

Hey i saw that article but failed to scroll all the way down. The reason i say that that might be it is because the other day i saw a strange thing that resembles the head of that thing (the brown oval shaped part sticking out of what looked like green algae imbedded in the sand. It would make a lot of sense if that was it.

Thanks a lot, not positive but i think thats it.

Ben

Possibley Timarete pg 141 J. Sprung Invertebrates. Ball of Yarn worm
Orange, reddish or brownish burrowing worm with two anterior clusters of groved hair like tentacles that it uses to feed. Commonly observed in aquariums in the gravel and next to windows. Common in live rock.
Useful in reef aquariums
Detiruis, bacteria, p.o.m feeder.
Growth and reproduction in aquarium
lifespan years.
Just a possiblility with out a pic.

See I was right about Steve...He knows everything about worms. He's probably had them as a child (LOL). Hey Steve, not to hijack this thread, but thanks for the aqua lifter offer, but I didn't want to take your spare off of you. I just got 3 of them today sent next day by Premium Aquatics. I'll have to hook it up when I get home. Thanks again.

I have the exact worm you are discribing and have dug them out of the sand and shared them with several people. I call them spagetti worms but have not found this exact worm in any book. I will definitely check the reference to pg 141 in Sprung's book. Your discription is perfect. I have them all over my rocks and in my sand. They are constantly in contact with my clams, corals (both LPS and SPS) and softies and I have never had a problem. As long as there is food they will reproduce. (I tend to overfeed). I also have an abundance of the 2 white tentacled worms that line their tubes with the gravel. They are one more detrius eater in my uneducated world.

If you want I can drag a dozen or so out of the sand and bring them to the frag swap for an up close look (better than a picture) for identification.

Last edited:
MCSInc said:
I have the exact worm you are discribing and have dug them out of the sand and shared them with several people. I call them spagetti worms but have not found this exact worm in any book. I will definitely check the reference to pg 141 in Sprung's book. Your discription is perfect. I have them all over my rocks and in my sand. They are constantly in contact with my clams, corals (both LPS and SPS) and softies and I have never had a problem. As long as there is food they will reproduce. (I tend to overfeed). I also have an abundance of the 2 white tentacled worms that line their tubes with the gravel. They are one more detrius eater in my uneducated world.

If you want I can drag a dozen or so out of the sand and bring them to the frag swap for an up close look (better than a picture) for identification.

That would be awesome and i really appreciate it except that i live on the east coast in MD. I just recently realized that everyone here seems to be from washington. Is this a predominantly local club? Wether it is or isnt i plan on staying as i have received a wealth of information already. Just curious.

Anyways, thanks a million for the offer and for calming my nerves about the worms.

Ben

Hey Ben, it may seem like everyone is from Washington, but that is not the case. There are reefers from all over the US and other countries, including countries in Europe. Here is a similar thread, where some midwesterners checked in: Does everyone live in Seattle?.

Yeah only the really cool reefers live in WA. The rest of us, just have to stay out of the state or it would succede from the union and become one giant reeftank.

Hey, that'd work; I don't think the country abbreviation RF is even taken! We'll be known for apples, airplanes, terrible coffee, expensive software and fantastic reef tanks.

Clayton

Steve is so right, all the cool reefers are in Washington :D Welcome to the forum, there are peeps from all over the world here, and we like everyone (except for Jiddy).

Steve is so right, all the cool reefers are in Washington Welcome to the forum, there are peeps from all over the world here, and we like everyone (except for Jiddy).

LOL !!!
ouch :D
and no there's tons of kewl reefers around the U.S. and outside :)

Welcome to Reef Frontiers where the word "reefer" doesn't make people uncomfortable :D

BTW I have the same red spagetti worms in my tank. They started out on a man made rock that I bought becasue it looked good and the other day I found one had moved to the sandbed. They are great scavengers and cleaners. I watched as one grabbed the tiniest piece of food and drag it to its mouth. They are good for your tank.

Back