stupid freaking heat!!!!!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Down here we stay around 95 to 97 high this time of year, so I guess we're lucky in that aspect we already have the central A/C I leave it set to 78/80 during the week when not home.
Sorry to hear about your losses, like Charlie said it is a big DO-DO, so just bite the bullet & regroup you'll be ok in the long run.

speaking of genarators my dad let a friend borow outs a few YEARS back.............. IM already on top of that, im not waiting till we have no power to find out its not runing right, or we dont have it.

Good idea. Trust me, once the power goes out there won't be a generator for sale within 200 miles. And your dad's friend will be "unavailable".

Here is a thought for some emergency cooling. I have no idea if it will work at all, but here you go :)

What if you took a bunch of nylon tubing, and coiled it up in the sump, then ran tap water
through it. The idea is that the water comming out of the tap is going to be cooler than
the air temperature (since it is a pipe in the ground), and if you have enough coils, you
might get a good enough heat transfer to be effective. I was thinking of something like 50ft
of 1/4 tubing coiledup in the sump. Then run the water outside for the lawn, (or whatever
might like some warm water on a hot day.

Then it is a question of how much water to run through the "system". Also what is the distance
from the closest tap, and you may want to insulate the pipe comming from the tap so the
air in the room doesn't heat it up. I'm not sure if the insulation is such a big deal in the long
run since it will be helping to cool the room which is the reason the tank is so hot :)

This is also going to give you one hell of a water bill :)

Just an idea...

how hot did the water in the tank get???? was your air on and it was just too hot outside to cool the house????

Actuall a metal tubing might work better because it will transfer the heat faster, but I'm not sure how it will respond to the saltwater, or what it might release into the system. Copper tubing would probabaly be what would normally be used, but I think that copper would be a really bad idea.

You could probabaly get around the poor heat transfer properties of a material by just running more tubing... I was thinking of the tubing you would use for the RO/DI systems. The thinner the wall the better.

that suck about the a/c....i forgot it doesn't get all that hot there...i got to have my a/c....i keep it at 69-70 degrees

mower7 said:
Actuall a metal tubing might work better because it will transfer the heat faster, but I'm not sure how it will respond to the saltwater, or what it might release into the system. Copper tubing would probabaly be what would normally be used, but I think that copper would be a really bad idea.

You could probabaly get around the poor heat transfer properties of a material by just running more tubing... I was thinking of the tubing you would use for the RO/DI systems. The thinner the wall the better.

Yes, CU is typically considered toxic. Often used as an ick cure, what doesn't kill it makes it stronger:eek:

Titanium is what goes in a tank (think chiller) and it isn't cheap. Making a heat pump for the tank, great idea, but might as well do the entire house.

Ice and fans seem to do the job; air conditioning does it better, chillers do it best. You get what you pay for, except in marriage or disease:lol: :razz:

how about just putting the water in your refrigerator for a few hours and then just dumping it in the sump ( you know the RO/DI water)

If your tank is too big you will need a lot of ice cold water to reduce the temp of the tank water. Still, it's better than nothing.

ok thing are alot better tonight temp is about 83 compared to oh I think about 90+ last night. fans blowing on it, lids opened, oh and cant forget the ice that I have had put in there today.

fish have no film in their mouths. breathing normally, and EATING whoooo hoooo!!!!

now its time to still get rid of my babies to make room for just one tank till I get my house built. ( anyone work in the permit deptartment city of seattle??) lol

things are looking better I just let it get out of control but I still miss ole bluetooth (harliquin tusk. austrailian even)

heres some pics

this guy is hand fed. I really dont want to let him go. 180 will be up soon but still too small for him

this is my hand petting him sorry so dark

and a pic of the tank

I feel your pain diablo. I went through three summers of the same deal before i got a window AC unit. what a difference that made!

Wow, great fish diablo. Drop me a note if you sell him. Not meaning to sound like a vulture, but no harm in asking :)

I have a 240, maybe that would be more to his liking?

Back