• bb (with or without starboard)

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • plenum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
well whoever told you that, i could hug him right now just for that

Watch out Mike!(LOL) I'm pretty sure like 99.9% sure that you are NOT supposed to let any rock sit on sand or substrate at all. I've seen it in books before getting into the hobby that show them adding the rock then the sand. I'm sure someone else will elaborate on it. If you really think about it though, how are you supposed to siphon your substrate if it is under your rocks? Sounds like I bunch of crud under there after a while...So it's probably time for you to re-aquascape Gabby. Good excuse to play with the tank...

spongebob lover said:
ohh dood then my husband did it all wrong from the begging and i'm paying for it :shock: , well dood thanks for the info, i'm gonna be rubbing it in on my husband's face right now :badgrin: :D

Gabby there are children on this site. Keep it PG.
LOL ROTFLMAO LOL LOL

well right now he's on strike 2, one more miss and he's out :badgrin: LOL!!
pg? Steve dood you konw that's boring:D .
doods seriously i'm so happy that you said that, keep elaborating Krish !!
ohh this is feeling so good :lol: :lol:

well after taking a closer look at my tank, i notice that over time my dams, have made deep places in my cc, and to my suprise what i saw was a undergravel filter that i had for gotten i put in 4 year ago, and looking at the bottom of the tank, from under neith my stand it is as white as snow.... so i guess from what i have been reading i have a cc substraight on a pleum, i think... btw did some cks today no,20 no2,0 kh, 185, ph, 8.2, sg 0.23 ammonia,0....

and to my suprise what i saw was a undergravel filter that i had for gotten i put in 4 year ago

Wow! I haven't used one of those in years! Well, now you basically know how a plennum works for you with CC...

Plenums can work very well. The issue is if mismanaged or designed wrong they just postpone the inevitable. If done right they have been very very successful.

Plenums can work very well. The issue is if mismanaged or designed wrong they just postpone the inevitable. If done right they have been very very successful.

...just as has every "other" method (dsb, bb, ssb). One thing to keep in mind... You could have the exact same setup as someone else right down to tank size, skimmer, substrate, cleaning methods etc. and one could have sucess and the other disaster. That's why I never push my preference on someone as the "only" way. What works for me may not work for you. So I just offer my opinion. I figure whichever way you go, once managed right, you can have just as much success as the other person. Just look at some different tank setups. You'll see guys with beautiful full blown reefs that have bb, dsb, plenums or ssb. All with succuess. So I just took that observation and said that a ssb seems to be right up my alley as I love the look of substrate, and because of my ocd, I have no problem taking care of it. So keeping a ssb in order is not a problem for me, but may be for another...Just another 2 cents...HTH:)

i just used a under gravel filter for fresh water, i didnt know what i was doing, and still dont... :) as for my tank 29'' x 24 x 24'' deep just looking for the easy way to make it work, i have no problem keeping up on it,if i know what needs to be done...

Last edited:
i just used a under gravel filter for fresh water, i didnt know what i was doing, and still dont...

LOL..We've all used them...Trust me. I still don't know what I'm really doing either. I'm still learning and far from being half as knowledgeable as the others here. But I can tell you this...What I have learned in the past 3 months, is more than I have ever known my whole life with the hobby just by being a more active member here. Don't mind the post count...Doesn't mean I know a thing(LOL). Just means I talk a lot of crap:D and a little bit of sense sometimes;)

thats cool, i have learned more in the past few days, than i thought, i ask alot of questions,if i want to know iam not scaired to ask....

as for my tank 25'' x 26 x 30'' deep just looking for the easy way to make it work, i have no problem keeping up on it,if i know what needs to be done...

How long are your arms? Can you scooba dive? That may help you figure out the best way to go(LOL) I'm 5ft 6in and there is no way I could reach bottom of a 30 tall to mess with the substrate. I have trouble with a 24 tall!(LOL) I'd have to get a big A siphoning tube to vacuum something that deep, but in any case, I wouldn't be able to aquascape...

thats cool, i have learned more in the past few days, than i thought, i ask alot of questions,if i want to know iam not scaired to ask....

That's good you feel that way. You could ask me the same question every day and I wouldn't mind. If I did, then I wouldn't have joined a forum in the first place. Ask away...I do...

hey whatever krish say, he's right :) .
we might joke a lot around here but we also love learning :) .
by the way krish, i'm about 5.4 and still need a chair to clean my tank :oops: .
you know i think semi sand beds are really nice, i mean it's not that hard to keep it as long as you do your water changes, test your water and have enough flow around the bottom.

Back