Sufficient for a 55g?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SmileyFace1995

Is this a good deal? a metal halide fixture, and Sump,OverfloxBox,& pump for $175.
I am pllaning on using the metal halide fixture for my 55g, and im wondering if thats sufficient lighting for keeping corals? like Mushrooms, & anemone(s)
i think im going to use the sump for a filter for my 55g freshwater, would that be sufficient? ty!

36" 150 watt with 2 x 34 watt T5 6Months Old
mh.jpg

and

20g Bioball Sump & Rio 2500 pump & an overflow
sump.jpg

depends on what you want to keep. You probably won't be keepeing any SPS with only 150w on a 55g. You'll also pick up a lot of shadow from the center brace of the tank with a single lamp fixture. BUT! The price is good for what you're getting.

The single light, right in the center, will sit over the center brace of your tank. It'll likely melt the center brace.

However, that is a pretty decent price on that fixture. Problem is, that fixture really should be used on something like a 40 gallon breeder, which is a 36" tank, without a center brace.

For a 55, you're going to want a fixture that offers 2 MH bulbs, one for each 24" half of the tank.

depends on what you want to keep. You probably won't be keepeing any SPS with only 150w on a 55g. You'll also pick up a lot of shadow from the center brace of the tank with a single lamp fixture. BUT! The price is good for what you're getting.

actually theres no shadow from the brace, because its all acrylic so it goes right through it :D

If there is a brace there regardless if it is acrylic or not it WILL MELT IT!! I had 175 MH on a 55 and it melted the brace in a matter of about a week.

what should i do about making it so the brace wont melt? would putting a wet wash cloth on it maybe keep it from melting?

Ummm, Chobits16 and SmileyFace1995....same person???

If there's an acrylic brace, directly under the MH bulb, you won't be able to do anything to keep it from melting. Wrapping it with tinfoil may help reflect some of the heat away from the center brace, but will cause other issues. You need a different light fixture, or a different tank.

Ummm, Chobits16 and SmileyFace1995....same person???

If there's an acrylic brace, directly under the MH bulb, you won't be able to do anything to keep it from melting. Wrapping it with tinfoil may help reflect some of the heat away from the center brace, but will cause other issues. You need a different light fixture, or a different tank.

no thats my brother, he was accidently logged in on my post -.- haha o well :) im 14 hes 20 so ya.. hes my transportation :D
but uhm, ya its on a mount or legs... pretty high above it , the brace isnt hotter than when i had my PC on it!

i am running a 250 watt HQI on my 55 and its great for just about anything and along with the 2 t5 bulbs on it I should have no problems but there is a shadow from the brace for sure. That sump shoul be more then enough but with that 150 sps would not be a good idea

IMO

i am running a 250 watt HQI on my 55 and its great for just about anything and along with the 2 t5 bulbs on it I should have no problems but there is a shadow from the brace for sure. That sump shoul be more then enough but with that 150 sps would not be a good idea

IMO

so you have an acrylic with the bulb directly above it?

Back