Suggestion of coral for bottom side of ledge

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

silverwolf

Working on designing a cave looking for ideas of corals that would do well on the sides and ceiling. Been told several times that this might be a bad idea but I'm determaned to figure out a way to get it to work saftly.

I'm not sure why folks would tell you not to try it other than they were inexpreinced or ignorant (never been to a reef obvisously).

You can do this my friend... ist easy and natural for many species to keep. I'm away from hmoe at present but will post picsof suggestions next week when I fly back.

What coral species are you targeting? And are you willinig to hand feed 3-5 times weekly to succeed with some beauties?

I agree with Anthony, you can do it, my rock is sort of like that :) .
i have right now an open brain there, but what kind of coral are you thinking of?

[QUWas thinking of maybe useing one of those fake liverocks made from plastic for the rock hanging down from the top.
OTE][/QUOTE]

In my own opinion i wouldn't go with fake live rock i just think it doesn't look good and i believe there's some concecuences to that but i'm not sure since i have never tried it.

The main thing is that you don't want your rock ( sorry about me english hehe :p) laying on the tank wall because then you can get some detritus in there and some other stuff because the flow can't get there.
Anyways, i'm sure Anthony will be able to tell you more as well as the others.

I plan on have the structure lifted off the bottom and currently the tank has 2 spray bars on the bottom(Got tank from a friend). I'm thinking if I keep the walls only 1 or 2 rocks thick I should be able to get some decent flow to go threw them so any detirus should fall to the bottom and be restired into the water column. Trying hard to keep from having a big pile of rocks and keep alot of open space in the middle of the tank. The fack rock was just an idea so there would not be the extra weight being suspended from the top of the tank. One of the other forums said Murphys law would cause it to fall and bust the tank.

Ive never seen a tank quite like I'm planing and think it would look awsome so any suggestions on how to get something simular to the pics is very welcome!

Two of the prettiest, easiest and most popular cave handing species in the aquarium trade are Tubastrea (of course) and Nephthyigorgia (Red Chili coral)

Both are incredibly hardy and long lived in aquaria and will reproduce simply with good water quality and regular (near daily) feedings.

And both almost always die in aquaria in a matter of months (less than 2 years) because aquarists typically get busy or lazy and (worse) put these corals in crowded garden reef aquaria that is nutrient scrubbed (aggressive skimming, weak feeding, etc).

Its a simple matter of hedging your bets and meeting basic needs for these hardy but hungry corals.

For Tubastrea, you can simply drill the skeleton and fish plastic cable ties through it to lash it upside down. For the Red Chili coral... it's a softy, stitch it with clean fishing line and enjoy. The latter needs fine zooplankton (baby brine shrimp and/or rots, copepods, etc)... the former can eat slighlyt larger food (as big as thawed frozen mysids).

Neither eat much or any phytoplankton.

i had a tubastrea and i had to give it away because of the feeding :( .. they do require to be fed constantly and my tank started to get algae blooms.
About the chili coral, they're very pretty.

Back