Suggestions for AquaC120 microbubble issue?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Greetings to all at Reef Frontiers. Just purchased a AquaC120 and I'm Having quite the microbubble issue. The only way I've been able to "solve" it has been by setting it up to double skim, which is something that I'd like to avoid. I know a micron sock with take care of it, but is there a cheap way to go about it? I've heard panty hose works, any suggestions. Thanks NatureBatsLast

Also, if the skimmer is brand new it may have a break in period. Some take a few days and others it could take a week or two. Also, which pump are you using and is it within the right distance of the skimmer and also is the gate valve above water level with un-impeded flow?

Double skimming, meaning that I have to run the skimmer output back to the intake part of my sump which catches my overflow from the display. It's also where the skimmer intake pump (a Mag5) is located. So, long story long... I have to dump the skimmer output right over the skimmer intake pump, therefore, skimming twice. Confusing?-you should see my sump. NBL

Double skimming, meaning that I have to run the skimmer output back to the intake part of my sump which catches my overflow from the display. It's also where the skimmer intake pump (a Mag5) is located. So, long story long... I have to dump the skimmer output right over the skimmer intake pump, therefore, skimming twice. Confusing?-you should see my sump. NBL

LOL...Not too confusing. So basically without re-skimming the water, you aren't really getting any skimmate? I'm I right? If so, I have another link that helped me get better results with pictures of what I had to do. In the meantime, I will go and did it up for you:)

I'm getting a little bit, but nothing consistent granted,my bioload is lite with a 50ish gallon system and feeding, etc, will reduce output. I'm open to any and all suggestions. But,I swear, I've seen some simple solution to catch the microbubbles, but can't remember. I may just do a late run to the supermarket, buy some cheap nylons and try to explain its for my aquarium.NBL

Oh!!! You are having microbubbles returning to the sump from the skimmer and transferring to the tank! Is that right???

Sorry man that I was on the wrong page(LOL). I don't know why I was thinking you were having problems getting the thing to skim...That should be a pretty easy fix depending on how your sump is setup. Do you have a photo of your sump and how it is plumbed? If not, how my skimmer is setup(which you can see from the picture in the links) the return for the skimmer is just slightly above water level. I mean it is really close. I also, think with having that elbow after my gate valve connecting to the bulkhead of the sump and not much room for water to fall, kinda helps with there not being much micro-bubbles. Water entering my sump from the pre-filter causes my micro-bubbles. In order for none to be transferred to the tank, you have to have a good bubble trap (which is partitions/ chambers etc just incase you don't know:)) to allow the water to travel long enough to break them down. I even see some people putting elbows on their return pumps so that it will suck the water from a few cm off the bottom of the sump. That is how I have mine now. Not necessarily because I had a micro-bubble issue, but it allows me to have more play with the water level dropping low before needing to top off. Micro-bubbles will rise so by sucking the water low enough, you shouldn't really transfer much at all. BTW, is the transferring of micro-bubbles to the tank the issue or just micro-bubbles in your sump on the whole the issue? I don't know how it is setup and if you have a macro or something in there that is affected by micro-bubbles. Hope I've helped some this time, if not, we'll try again:)

Here's a pic, the white horizontal pipe catches the return from my skimmer, run into the cnter baffle. The display return pump is on the right, the skimmer pump on the left (behind a small remote sand bed). Not the greatest pic or sump.
Thanks, NBL
View attachment 10863

Ahhh...I see:) Cool setup BTW! From the picture it looks like your main display return pump doesn't have the pre-filter sponge on it. I don't use one either, but it helps with catching the micro-bubbles. If you put it on if it isn't on already, you may notice a difference in micro-bubbles in the tank. I just don't use mine because I'm a freak and don't want an extra bio-logical filter in my tank (but that's another story:))

I'm not sure if the skimmer will function properly by doing this, and maybe you can try it just as a test if it is do-able, but what if you put the end of that horizontal hose coming from the skimmer output, under that sponge in the center below it so that as the water enters the sump, it will have to flow up and through the sponge which should breakdown the micro-bubbles. Just a thought I figured I'd throw out. HTH:)

Back