suggestions for how to run carbon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

zenn

What are some good ways to run carbon on reef tank keeping in mind limited under-stand space?

The only few ideas I have are to get some filter socks, fill them up with Carbon, and drop them into the sump. Is that a good method....what other ways are you running carbon?

That is a good idea.

I run carbon in a canister filter.

i haven't run carbon yet :p .. but how about running it in a carbon bag thingy( you know the little net baggies).

you can also try with a phosban reactor i believe

how often should you replace the carbon?

i'm going to make an online order today because I need more alk tests, and I'd like to buy some kind of carbon while i'm at it.

Read this!!!

This should help you decide what carbon to get. ;)

I replace mine once a month. I know some replace weekly/biweekly.

I ran my carbon in a media bag hung in my sump in a high flow area and changed it out every week to 2 weeks at the most. Worked well for me:)

I ran my carbon in a media bag hung in my sump in a high flow area and changed it out every week to 2 weeks at the most. Worked well for me:)

did you reuse the bag and just change the media? Or did you change both?

The media bag can be used over and over. All you do is rinse it out when you change your carbon. Some people even use women's stocking for a media bag(LOL). Whatever works...:)

I have run my carbon in a mesh bag and change it out every 2 weeks. I was running 2 bags and changing 1 every week to rotate so there was always new carbon in each week. I'm going to move to a phosban reactor with in the next couple of weeks. Have the unit and all the parts, just need the time to install which is hard to come by for me these days. I plan to run both carbon and rowa phos together in the reactor. Was reading a small thread over on RC about running them both together. Thought I'd give it a shot.

I was just reading up more on carbon, and it seems some folks have had more success with a phosphate remover. Supposedly sps can tolerate some nitrate levels, but not phosphates since algae really needs phosphates to grow. I'm wondering if it's more important to run a phosphate remover instead of a nitrate remover like carbon.

bbehring, so you're saying you literally mix the two medias together and throw them in the phosban reactor? Interesting...

i'd run both things :) .
to me i think both things are good .. also water changes are good :D :p.
Right now i'm running a phosban reactor and i couldn't be any happier... i don't have the algae wall in the back :D :lol: ... i'm planning on running carbon just for the corals since my tank is a little bit of a mixed one.

Back