Suggestions for protein skimmer and filter please!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mykhals

Hello,

I have a 30 gallon reef and fish tank and I'd like to upgrade my filtration. Currently I have an Aquaclear 200 which needs constant attention (algae is constantly growing off the flow side) and the foam inserts need to be replaced constantly. Overall it's kept my life alive but I'd like to get something with better performance and less maintenance, if possible. Also, I have about 40-50lbs of live rock. I'm planning on getting the CPR Bak Pak 2 (should I get the one with biological filtration or without?), as well as a Marineland Emperor 400 Wet/Dry Filter System. My criteria are:

solid performance
quiet operation
low maintenance
moderate price ($75-125 for the skimmer, $25-50 for the filter)
solid construction/good quality

I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions, thank you very much.

Last edited:
the bakpak sound like the right idea but hte emperor has the biowheels that produce way too many nitrates and they aren't that good for saltwater.

bradreef said:
the bakpak sound like the right idea but hte emperor has the biowheels that produce way too many nitrates and they aren't that good for saltwater.

Ideally, to avoid nitrate bulid-up, a refugium would work best for filtration, right? That's the way I understand it. But, that's a little impractical for my situation, are there any filters that won't give me problems with nitrates? Thanks.

Back