Suggestions needed, tank leaking..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

daytonaconnecti

noticed that my tank is seeping in the corner, from some where, under the wood grain plastic trim, any ideas to how to fix it? iam dreading the idea of teardown and fix,

If it's seeping from a seam the only way that I know to fix it is to remove all the water and lay a new bead of RTV. Applying RTV to the outside of the tank would probably solve your leak for a short while and allow you to plan a permanent fix. Be certain to use a quality product like Momentive RTV 103/108 (clear/black). While you're in there do all the interior seams and you'll be good to go for years.

I did this to the interior of my 180 when I bought it. Scrape with a razor, scrub with fine steel wool and acetone, scrape some more, scrub some more, and repeat until ALL of the old RTV is removed from the glass. Use blue painters tape to mask all your seams, apply your RTV, and smooth it with your finger. I put a bowl full of wet rags in the tank and wrapped the top with plastic wrap. The humidity will aid the cure. Plan on a full two week cure to ensure the best seam bond.

Good luck,
Mike

Last edited:
i would not just reseal over the old silicone it will leak again or over the outside the pressure will build on it while its curing and bleed through anyways. i know from experience happened to me like 6 years ago with my turtle tank. you will need to tear down and reseal that one side or the whole tank again . sorry

Glass tank? I had my glass sump spring a leak... sucked. Ended up having to take out all the baffles and stuff, and I paid a guy up in everett to reseal it for me. Charged 15 or 20 bucks or something and he did a good job.

If it is acrylic, you might be able to glue a piece on the outside where it is leaking, but seems to get to it, you'd still have to drain the tank.....

How big is your tank?

thanks everyone, yes it is the hex... found the leak about half way down, in the front seam, if i push on the glass it flexes... looks like it could go at anytime....

Sorry then, but I think you know what you need to do. Think of it as an opportunity to redo your aquascape.

iam trying a fix, lowered the water passed the leak, scraped out the sealent, cleaned good and wiped with alcohol, and resealed both side, of the glass, passed the leak point, and up to the top. has be setting up for 26 hours, do i need to wait the full 48

I'd think 24 is good for curing. Guess it depends on how thick the bead is. Does it feel squishy still? I thought about trying a fix like that, but was paranoid about the junction between the new and old silicone. I'd fill it a bit past the leak and make sure it holds before completely refilling it.

Good luck

I'd think 24 is good for curing. Guess it depends on how thick the bead is. Does it feel squishy still? I thought about trying a fix like that, but was paranoid about the junction between the new and old silicone. I'd fill it a bit past the leak and make sure it holds before completely refilling it.

Good luck
thats what i was thinking as well, i did fill passed the leak, this is a 5 sided tank 44gal, it was funny, i put a draw strap around the lower part of the tank, i was afraid of a blow out... its funny how the glass doesnt meet. their is a gap, thickness of a butter knife blade between the pices of glass that had to be filled...

its funny how the glass doesnt meet. their is a gap, thickness of a butter knife blade between the pices of glass that had to be filled...

Holy cow!:eek: Hope it holds for you man. I'd hate to see that thing blow out on you with all you've been through with it. Let us know how it holds. :)

Holy cow!:eek: Hope it holds for you man. I'd hate to see that thing blow out on you with all you've been through with it. Let us know how it holds. :)
i know crazy right, i did find this setup
44 gallon corner tank. Comes with live rock, live sand, canister filter, lights, two clown fish, blenny, sixline wrasse, several hermits and snails. Stand is in great shape! 250.00

i know crazy right, i did find this setup
44 gallon corner tank. Comes with live rock, live sand, canister filter, lights, two clown fish, blenny, sixline wrasse, several hermits and snails. Stand is in great shape! 250.00

Not a bad price at all! Maybe you should jump on it! :) I would feel kinda un-easy if it were me trying to close a gap like that, but you never know :oops:

Yea man, should be an easy transfer. The main thing will be trasferring the new tank's live stock and live rock etc to your place as quickly and safely as possible. I would probably even suggest getting big containers that you can tranfer the liverock in submerged and use some of the water from the new tank for the transfer. You really don't want to experince any die-off. :)

Back