Suggestions on better tank setup?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

esears

Ok, here is how our tank is set up currently. And no, the power cords don't run over the water or near it at all. They go behind the system to a power strip with timers for the lights. Right now it seems that everythign is just sort of an eyesore with the sump sitting out there on the left.

DSC00002.jpg

I was thinking of trying to use the space between the two cupboards on the bottom as a sump but not sure how accessible it would be. It measures 16wX24hx16d for measurements so I'm sure I could fit something in there, just not sure what. I'd also be willing to get a new stand and hood provided there was a "relatively" easy way to move my tank, which I'm sure there really isn't considering it is full and all that. But i'm sure someone here has some more experience on that. The tank is 48x22x18 or so, I'm not too sure on the exact height.

I'm just trying to make it a bit easier to maintain and be a bit better looking sitting in my living room :)

Thanks for the help!

Hey esears,
Looking at your setup.Yes you are limited because of your base stand. I like the fact that your sump is easy to get to for maintence.:) Maybe you should look for a seperate cabinet for the sump or some kind of shielding that is removeable. Yea moving tanks is a pita. Do you have a basement where you could have a remote sump?
Scott

Thats the bad part, we live in a rented duplex so a) I can't really drill holes or anything and b) there is no basement :) I went ahead and organized the cords all tucked behind the tank so that you can't see them anymore and I'm in the process of making a new overflow type system to get rid of the unsightly hoses and such and to replace the flex lines with a hard line system. I never realized how much will flow through 1" pvc piping though. It will empty my tank quicker than the pump will put it back in :)

Does anyone have any suggestions on moving a tank from one stand to another? I'm taking my only option would be to find something similar size and then to drain some water and try to slide it? Probably better off to just keep what I have.

I really like the idea of a seperate cabinet or shield type somethign for the sump but as of now I haven't been able to find anything that will work for this. Anyone have any suggestions?

Back