suggestions on bulbs to get for my 4x96w retrofit

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i guess a better question would be if i use my glass tops will it flucuate my pH as much and gas exchange as much as having a piece of lexon up above my aquarium say a few inches. and lets say, in you can visualize this... try real hard ;) k when i install my fans should i install them on my sides and put the lexon halfway through the fan; so that half blows in the fixture itself and half over the top of the water. or since im leaving an open back should i just install them in the back blowing in or out? i dont know if my description helps you at all or just confuses u more :( but i have been contemplating how to design my canopy and keep my fixture as close to the surface as possible so any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
You use the fans for two purposes - to keep the bulbs cooler (so they last longer), and to help with evaporation (to control tank temperature when the lights are on). If you put a cover directly on your tank, the fans won't help with evaporation-cooling.

I don't understand why you want to have the fixture as close to the surface as possible? could you clarify this?

Yes, it matters. If your bulbs are too close, you will get too much salt spray on them and you will lose light intensity.

As long as you have decent reflectors, and your bulbs are high enough to not get overly salt-encrusted, height differences of inches (or even tens of inches) will have no significant effect on light intensity.

alrighty that works i will raise them up a few inches cuz i have pretty good reflectors and i have been noticing some salt spraying on them, thanks for your help once again

Back