Suggestions on lighting suspension kit

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jan

Hi all

I have a new canopy to go on my tank that is 18" tall. My plan is to install my lighting (combo of T-5's, VHO, and mini pendants) on a plywood platform that is suspended from the top of the canopy. I would need to raise this platform when I want to get access to the top of the tank, then lower it again for normal lighting mode.

What would you recommended for a strong, reliable method of suspending this platform, and raising/lowering it as needed?

The canopy is 66" long (5.5 feet) and 30" wide. The platform will be 2-3 inches smaller so that it doesn't get caught on the sides during raising/lowering.

Also, would you hang this platform from the 4 corners, or from 2 points only? 4 corners seems more stable but more difficult to raise/lower (?)

thanks in advance for your suggestions. :)

I have my lights hanging on chains from two points, not enough IMO.
sounds like you would need to make up a pulley system & cables to resists rusting, this would almost probably be a custom made thing, not sure if that helps.

I am hoping that someone has already invented this thing, and that a few other people know about it :lol:

I haven't built my rack yet but this is my idea.
LightRack.jpg

Jan
You might want to take a look at one of these. We used them on Danno's and Tracy's tanks.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11040990&search=garage&Sp=S&Mo =23&cm_re=1-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_Sig nDesc1&N=0&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All &Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=garage&Ntt=garag e&No=8&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s= 1

Those are definately great but probably a little overkill (can lift 250lbs). I was going to use pulleys in my original plan but since my light rack weighs about 2lbs I know eyelets will work just fine.

What is really cool is using DC actuators for lifting your lights electronically. You can raise your lights with a press of a button. Unfortunately for a small light rack it is not cost effective. The materials are around $200 to make them but for a larger set up, totally awesome.

now we're cookin' with gas! I love that garage storage system, Rick. We need a couple of those as we stopped being able to park our cars in the garage as soon as I bought my "new" tank set up. The $15 bicycle hoist system looks almost perfect; I just need the four-point platform lift instead of the seat and handlebar grips.....hmmm

Or I could use the heavy hoist thing on the main link and just lift my entire canopy....but I don't think I want to go that route. We're getting very close, though.

I'm back! :)

We set my new canopy on top of the tank and have the lights going, but now I really see the need to get a lift system! :idea:

Right now I either choose to have room to work and have the lights too high, or lower them and have no access to the tank. The platform is too big, heavy/awkward to be using links in a chain to lift/lower each corner. That is not gonna work.

Time to get a membership to Costco I think :)

I've been looking at multliple variations on that theme. That one looks pretty easy to adapt and install.

Back