Sump design ideas please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

depends on what you want to do. baffle the where the drains from the dt go.makes a great skimmer section, then if you want a fuge put that in the middle then use the 3 baffles for the return chamber.

i dont know what i want to do, thats kinda why i was asking on here trying to get some ideas. so i put the skimmer in the same area as the inlet? then a fuge then a return?

^^ Thats my preference. Skimmer in first section/baffles/refuge/bubble trap/return pump.
On the first set of baffles between the skimmer/refuge I like to use 2 baffles - one set high for the water to pass under and the second low where the water flows over it into the refugium. I feel like this helps trap the detrius and dissolved organic matter in the first chamber so that the skimmer can suck it all up. I'll see if I can get pics up for you soon.

Found the pic: this is my sump when I first set it up(thus the clean and the blue lines I drew for the baffles) I accidentally bought white silicone and was to lazy to make another trip to home depot - whoops!
DSC01475.jpg

Marlinmero, sorry to hop on board this thread
may I ask is there a benefit to a sump with that configuration? over a sump with the inlet/skimmer on one side, fuge on other with return in the middle? and I do relaize that means either 2 overflow drains or T a single to 2.
I ask because Ive seen that several times lately.

Marlinmero, sorry to hop on board this thread
may I ask is there a benefit to a sump with that configuration? over a sump with the inlet/skimmer on one side, fuge on other with return in the middle? and I do relaize that means either 2 overflow drains or T a single to 2.
I ask because Ive seen that several times lately.

I use that design.
One of the reasons I like it, because I try a keep things simple.
The old expression keep it simple stupid is not a bad one.

I have a bubble tower where the drains come into the skimmer, then 3 baffles, and a large return chamber filled with LR. I have a holder for probes and heaters in the return chamber (well, egg creat 'wall' around the heaters to protect them from getting bumped by LR, etc.)

Anyway, a great site to check out for basic sump ideas is:

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

He has many different designs and discusses theory, etc. Great guide for getting started.

I have a bubble tower where the drains come into the skimmer, then 3 baffles,

Have any pictures of the bubble tower?

I'm wondering if mine is similar.

I made a acrylic box inside the sump that forces the water to go over a wall as it enters the sump.
I think this helps calm the water a little before the skimmer pumps suck it into the skimmer body.

Yea, let me check on a pic. Its 2 pieces that I glued together at a right angle, then siliconed into the corner of the sump. Made it out of scrap plexiglass. Also put some little legs on it to hold it an inch and a half above the bottom.

Theory is that the water is coming in fast from the drains. This box allows the water to slow down once it hits the sump to allow any air in the drain lines to float to the top of the bubble tower before entering the skimming chamber.

This photo shows the tower. Sump has been changed though. I no longer have the half height divider and I went to 3 baffles (there are 4 in the picture.)

I went a little overboard on bubble removal in the sump. When it sprang a leak at a seam, I had to reinstall the baffles, and I simplified it down to just the tower and 3 baffles. Also, I cut the drain lines when I actually installed it all to be about an inch or 2 below water line. They are not yet cut in these pics.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/jvQFW3DlfhOqk7s4fbHIsw?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/bHAf8AouX3bfoKb5UVYaEA?feat=directlink

starting on this tomorrow i think. i bought a glass clutter and some silicon and cut all my extra glass into square. what do you think about having my sump covered? thought about doing it to help evaperation but it would lesson the gas exchange. maybe cover half?

Check mine out:
SANY0010.jpg

SANY0358.jpg

The drains go to either end. I can independently control the flow to either side.
And the return is in the middle. I have my skimmer and carbon reactor on one side.
And the LR/Fuge section on the other.

Its a 55g, I used cheap glass for baffles at low's. Like $20 in glass. Fit perfectly.

i bought a glass clutter and some silicon and cut all my extra glass into square. what do you think about having my sump covered? thought about doing it to help evaperation but it would lesson the gas exchange. maybe cover half?

Lows cuts the glass for you. But they also have a wide assortment of shapes already precut. Its like $2.50 a peice. As for covered sump, some people do that, but Id ratehr have gas exchange.

Also evaporation really isn't that big of a deal. I have a 20g bin on standby with RO water. I grab a 5 gal pail once a week, and Im good.

alrighty thanks for the ideas. i have a bunch of glass left over from tanks i have picked up or bought. the glass tops they give you im cutting those up. i could actually go bigger then the 55 i plan on useing but i want room on one end for food test kits and the ATO bucket

Back