Sump design needs comments

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

stephsh

I am building a sump for my 55G. From what I have read, flow control seems to be a concern of in sump refugium. So I modify the standard cascade design: filter, protein skimmer, refugium, return pump to add a bypass chamber next to refugium. I have a graph for it but it is too big to upload so let me try to explain it in words. Water from display tank to:
1. Section 1: Filter box ( mechanical filtration ) on top of a stack of LR. Opening at bottom.
2. Section 2: Protein skimmer.
3. Section 3: Refugium chamber + bypass chamber. Bypass chamber is somewhat narrow to go directly to Section 4; Refugium chamber is built by boards with holes. Water from Section 2 can either go to Section 4 via bypass chamber, or some could get into refugium chamber through those holes.
4. Section 4: Return pump.
Holes to refugium chamber controls the water flow into the chamber, so we don't need extra pipes from display tank or protein skimmer to refugium. Everything is in the sump with one pipe in and one pip out. Bypass chamber can also host heater, carbon, or other stuffs. The holes for water leaving refugium will be a little bigger, and the board will be a little shorter, to prevent overflow. I can also add a bubble trap wall between Section 3 and 4.
I will appreciate any comments.
Thanks.

You will probably get more comments if you put up a sketch so people can see it clearly.

A great site is melevsreef.com. There is a DIY sump page.

wondering how the flow will actually work between the bypass and fuge. I would just split the drain line at the sump, have it go 1) to the fill chamber through a ball valve and 2) to the refugium through a ball valve. Then you can control the flow to both of the chambers separately. With this design, you would have the return chamber in the middle.

In my sump I have the whole return chamber filled with live rock. Not sure you need a separate chamber for mechanical filtration. I would have it just go into the protein chamber (in mine I have the line go into a bubble tower I put in the corner of the sump chamber.)

Also, call me paranoid, but I put 2 drains on everything in my tank. Great backup incase one clogs. Such as, about 2 days ago the algae came out of my algae clip and somehow blocked about 90% of my main drain. Heard the backup drain on when I came home, but if that wasn't there, I would have had 20-30 gallons of salt water all over my floor. A second drain also lets you run a 'herbie' style drain, which runs at a full siphon and is very very quiet.

Here is a design to think about (not sure what size sump you are planning on building..)

Sump - Model E

sumpTop.jpg
Here is a trim down version of what I have. The original design is too big to upload. In this design water runs into the refugium through holes on the wall, hoping to reduce the current in refugium. Yes you are right it could clog easily. We probably can fix it by lower the wall between refugium and return pump. As for the bypass chamber, since it's kind of long with strong current. It can be an ideal place for heater, carbon, or other equipment. What I try to accomplish is to have a simple design that looks neat and clean. I will have one pipe from return pump on one side, and two pipes from display tank on the other side. No pipe crossing above the sump. It should look cleaner, if it works. :)

I would add the bubble wall at the end of the bypass chamber. Otherwise you will likely have skimmer bubbles going strait to the return pump.
But also, you didn't say weather you were going to have an auto top-off system. if not, a wall between your return chamber and skimmer is a must to keep the skimmer in an even height of water. without that, you'll never have good performance from most skimmers.

Hope this helps,
Casey

Thanks for all the info. For the design in "Part II by Greg Taylor", it is definitely more compact than mine. Unfortunately my tank is only 55G, about 12" in depth. Most skimmers I search require at least 8"-9" of space. That leaves about 3" for refugium. That's why I have to introduce a bypass chamber, otherwise I would love to have a more compact design like that one. Another thing to share. My version 1 design used overflow to refugium as well. Then I asked myself, "hmm, what kind of algae can grow right under a waterfall?" Then I realized I didn't have to use overflow. I can have many holes to avoid one point of strong current. Now one thing I have learned from you is that it is very important to have a backup of everything. I can have the overflow as a backup in case all holes are clogged.
I will add walls as advised. I was thinking about it but now I am sure about them.
Thanks again for all your advises.

Back