Sump design, what do you think?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

carlos_fb

Caribe Piranha
I'm setting up my 60 gal tank and thinking on getting a custom made 22 gal sump. Attached is a picture of the design and size I have in mind. Check it out and let me know what you think? (don't have a lot of room in the stand, that's why it's only 11" wide).

I have 1" bulkhead drain coming from the tank so I think I'm going to keep a 600 gph flow and plan to use an external pump (don''t know which one yet, any suggestions?).

sump.jpg

Swap yor intake and return so that the skimmer bubbles have to go through the baffles.

Don

What skimmer are you going to stuff in there? I'd plan for a auto top off. That intake area is tiny and will evap quick.

Don

It looks as if you have it right in that picture if the intake is the water going into the sump and the return is going to the main tank.
If you can make it bigger then i would add a refugium.

It looks as if you have it right in that picture if the intake is the water going into the sump and the return is going to the main tank.
If you can make it bigger then i would add a refugium.

He changed it. Yes, I would go as big as you possibly can.

Don

Turns out my skimmer is bigger than expected so I won't have that much space as I wanted, Therefore I'm going to have to modify the design.

Here's a couple of pictures. Please let me know what you guys think...

How tall do you think I should make the baffles?

sump3.jpg

sump2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good Carlos...Sorry I missed this thread (blame it on the new addition to the family:p ) About the baffles, I always wondered the same thing where skimmers like the one you have are concerned. The reason why is because I'm thinking that exit for the skimmer with the sponge on it is supposed to be above water level (atleast that's what I'm thinking) Someone who knows that will have to chime in and then you can go from there. I wouldn't take the baffles too high in any event though. You want to leave room for back siphon when the power cuts to the return pump. The higher you take them, the less space you will have after the retuirn pump is shut off.:)

Looks good Carlos...Sorry I missed this thread (blame it on the new addition to the family:p ) About the baffles, I always wondered the same thing where skimmers like the one you have are concerned. The reason why is because I'm thinking that exit for the skimmer with the sponge on it is supposed to be above water level (atleast that's what I'm thinking) Someone who knows that will have to chime in and then you can go from there. I wouldn't take the baffles too high in any event though. You want to leave room for back siphon when the power cuts to the return pump. The higher you take them, the less space you will have after the retuirn pump is shut off.:)

Hey Krish, congratulations on the new addition to the family! now that's exciting! :)

I wouldn't take the baffles too high in any event though. You want to leave room for back siphon when the power cuts to the return pump. The higher you take them, the less space you will have after the retuirn pump is shut off.:)

I agree with Krish. While I'm not sure the exact formula for determining baffle height, you want to have enough room above the baffles to hold water (back siphon from display) in the event of a power outage. This includes some water from the skimmer when the skimmer pump kicks off. My sump is pretty deep, and my skimmer (Euro-reef) is supposed to sit in water that isn't greater than 8" deep (going off the top of my head). I have my skimmer sitting on top of a little "table" to keep it the proper depth in the sump.

I hope this helps a bit...until those more DIY inclined can offer their thoughts :)

Thats a tight squeeze. I'd go with no baffles or just seperate the return and skipp the inlet area. Calculate your drain back, that is how much space you need above the baffles.

Don

Back