Sump Drain Tubeing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kaolian

Wel, i'm putting together my first sump / tank combo, and I have a question i hope someone can help me with. My Sump and Tank have recepticles for some sort of tubeing, at 1" for the drains. The tubeing recepticals are smooth, wiht no threads, so i'm gussing it's just a compression fitting. What type of tubeing is reccomended for use in those type of connections? Thick walled clear silicone tube? or something else?

I have always tried to use a hose that is colored( no light, no algae ) and ribbed for better gas exchage. Also the ribbed type has better support so that it doesn't collapse Atleast thats the idea.

If it is smooth on the inside it is most likely a slip fitting for gluing with pvc.
For straight runs I use normal pvc plumbing pipe, for bends or things I will have to mess with I use spaflex pvc tubing.
I recomend thinking well about adding ball valves, and true unions to your plumbing.
Always put the ball valve before the union (closer to the way the water is flowing. When gluing into a bulkhead, try to leave extra pipe if you have to cut it off, and glue different fitting on later.
Or if you would rather, you can glue in a barb fitting and use soft flexible tubing. It doesnt last though, and seems to break and leak at 2 am on christmas eve.

Back