Sump/Fuge questions before I start soon.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

warforged

MMORPG Addict!
OK... I have picked up most of what I need to set up now.

My final addition to my plans is a 10 gallon tank turned into a fuge. (home made).

The Sump itself will contain a mag5 to return to my tank...the overflow will flow into a LR holder (Oceanic Sump Brand). My SKimmer will be sitting in the center of the fuge..etc etc basic stuff here.

Now to add this 10 gallon I was thinking of putting a Mag 1 in the same area as the Mag 5.... using flex pvc the mag 1 would push water into the 10 gallon...then another Mag1 pushing the water back into my display tank.

I was wondering will this be ok to do the job? *<--Mag 1 to fuge mag 1 returns* Should I just have the Fuge return the water back to the Sump instead?

This is the last thing I need to figure out before I start cutting glueing adding electrical , mounting things in place in my stand etc etc...

thanks for the help those who reply.

Last edited:
"I was wondering will this be ok to do the job? *<--Mag 1 to fuge mag 1 returns* Should I just have the Fuge return the water back to the Sump instead?"

There are a several differnt ways you could run this:
1. The way you stated should work fine.
2. You could tap off the return from the main tank and route it so some of it goes into the fuge (use a ball valve to help adjust flow to fuge), this would eleminate the pump from the sump to the fuge.
3. I would just return the fuge water to the sump since any pods are going to have to go thru pumps to get to the main tank, you don't want high flow in the fuge anyway.

I am sure you will get tons of different ways to set this up, but I always like to use gravity as a way to get water from one spot to another if I can. Saves on power and heat issues.

if you can have your fuge above your tank and call it a header tank. that way the pods and other bugs can just flow into your display w/o getting choped up...

The main use for the fuge is just a nutrients export. My tank is dominantly coral.. just a few fish ..very few.

Back