Sump/Fuge setup

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey Tony! You are right about bio-balls as they do produce a lot of nitrates. How your sump is set up doesn't look like if bio-balls were used, that it was in a wet/dry environment, but fully submerged which is a little different. Nevertheless, you don't need them. About your skimmer, most people do have them in their first chamber so it can recieve the water coming in directly from the tank, but in any event, your skimmer will still get a shot at the same in-coming water wherever you put it in the sump as all the water still has to pass throung the entire sump to return back to the tank. So, hanging the skimmer on the return chamber won't defeat it's purpose. IMO, it should still work the same. I only have mine in the first because I use to use a filter pad in my sump and I wanted the skimmer to remove as much junk as possible before the water got to the filter pad so I wouldn't have to worry about cleaning it so much, but I've pretty much done away with every pad/sponge all together in my system except for on my prefilter. HTH and good luck!

Thanks Krish, that does help. Will having the skimmer in the return prevent the refugium nutrients from reaching the display?

Did your new fish make it home yet?

Thanks Krish, that does help. Will having the skimmer in the return prevent the refugium nutrients from reaching the display?

Possibly, but the skimmer isn't going to catch everything. Are you planning on keeping something in your fuge that you intend on feeding corals with? I think some people raise certain things in their fuge to have transported into their display tank to feed their polyps, corals etc. If this is your plan, then maybe the last chamber may not be the best place, but I'm not positive though...

Did your new fish make it home yet?

Should be here about 4:00. I'm just waiting on the call...(LOL)

Great, I am anticipating for you! I enjoy that part very much, LOL! BTW, what time is it there right now?

I am going to use Caulerpa, it was recommended by aquariumlights.com and my LFS. I already have 10lbs. of miracle mud in there. My LFS has the Caulerpa for me. Does this sound good to you for what I have so far?

I am starting on soft and some LPS corals. I have a few zoo frags I got from my cousin, one red open brain, a leather tree coral and a very, very small xenia. All seem to be doing well. So far I have been using Reef Solution and Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium for additives. I don't think I will consider any SPS until I get a lighting upgrade and have these successfully for awhile. Thanks!

Great, I am anticipating for you! I enjoy that part very much, LOL! BTW, what time is it there right now?

It's 1:30 pm and I took the rest of the day off(LOL)

So you are going to keep caulerpa huh. Try this...Start up a new thread about using it and see what kinds of replies you get.(LOL) I thought of using the same thing before, but they frighten me. I've heard that they can screw up your whole tank if they go "sexual" which (from what I understand) can be triggered from something like a power outtage. I'd get some RF opinions on that first before getting some. I'm going to go with just chaeto as it seems to be a pretty easy algae to deal with. Nevertheless, people are using caulerpa with much success, but they just are little un-predictable IMO.

I am starting on soft and some LPS corals. I have a few zoo frags I got from my cousin, one red open brain, a leather tree coral and a very, very small xenia. All seem to be doing well. So far I have been using Reef Solution and Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium for additives. I don't think I will consider any SPS until I get a lighting upgrade and have these successfully for awhile. Thanks!

Sounds like it will soon be time for updated pics! You should start up your own thread in the members showcase forum. I think your tank is really nice and it would be cool for others to see the whole progress of it. You could look back on it a few months from now and say "WOW!" "Boy things have changed!"(LOL)

I will do some more research on Caulerpa before I go down that road... I had heard about the reproduction cycle with lighting, etc. I don't want to mess up what so far has been a good thing. I will also check out chaeto, might be good to go with something easier to manage considering my novice abilities.

Good idea, I will take some photos and start a thread over there. The tank is coming along nicely IMO also. Thank you!

Hi, finally got everything plumbed and ready to go. I tried my first test and the overflow box will not keep up with my return pump. The siphon is working; however, as soon as I turn on the return, it drains that chamber. The overflow can't keep up. Do I need to add more water to the sump? Should I reduce the return pump size? Thanks for any help...

Hey Tony! That happens sometimes if the pump is too big. It's an easy fix though without buying a new pump. Just use a longer hose. Pumps lose head pressure by the foot, so I'd say to maybe get a hose 2 feet longer and try that. If it still does it then you need to go even longer, but that should do it. To get maximum flow, I usually buy like 6 feet of tubing, and then run it. If it works, I cut off a few inches and run it again. I keep doing that until I get the hose to the right length (where I can get maximum flow out of my prefilter which you don't have to do). Or, you can usually go by the pumps specs which usually tell you how much flow you will get per foot. I think your pre-filter is rated at 700-800 gph. So you can just look it up to see how much length of hose you would need for that much flow. For eg. A magdrive 7 will give you 700 gph at 0 feet, but at 4 feet you'd only get aout 500 gph (just an example) Whatever you do don't add more water(LOL) If you keep adding it, it will just be pushed back into your tank everytime your return pump drains your sump. Eventually your tank will overflow(LOL) Also, once you get your pump working in sync with your pre-filter, you can adjust the water level in your tank and sump by simply lowering the prefilter and raising it. Best of luck and HTH!

Thanks Krish! I have another ten foot section of hose. I will try that and see if I can work down from there. I had the CA 2200 on there at first. That drained the return chamber in seconds. I called aquariumuniverse.com and they said switch it with the skimmer CA 1800 pump. I did that and it did slow down, but still not keeping up. I will let you know what happens! Thanks again, you da man!

LOL...My friend tried the exact same pump and drained his sump using the same prefilter(well atleast the pump I posted earlier which you said was the same) It will definately work. 10 feet of hose may give you about 200 gph of flow(LOL) Good luck...I'm sure it will work!:D

Well, the ten foot section slows it down; however, it still drains the tank. In theory, should'nt the overflow rate keep up with the return if the water levels are right? Maybe I can get some sort of valve to reduce the return output? Thanks, Tony

Well, the ten foot section slows it down; however, it still drains the tank

Tank? or sump?

Is all of the air out of the "U" tube? Also, you are right about the overflow rate keeping up with the return rate. Once the pump doesn't flow more than the pre-filter can handle, then it should work...

I know this may be a crazy question, but i'll ask anyway(LOL) but you are changing the hose on the return pump to the return nozzle and not the hose going from your pre-filter to the sump right?

Sorry, the return chamber on the sump was drained. No, the U tube is not completely air free. I just sucked enough to start the suction and run to the sink and spit! Maybe that is the problem? Do I need to make sure zero air is in that U tube?

Yes, I made sure I have the right hose. The other is attached to the prefilter/overflow to the bulkhead on the sump. The return is attached to the pump in the return chamber leading to the nozzle attachment with siphon hole which is in the display. That part seems to be working well, when I unplug the return pump, the water rushes back into the return chamber, but stops when it reaches that hole on the nozzle.

Yeah...You want zero air in there. Once you start the siphon, the "U" tube should fill with water. Even after the water stops flowing it should still remain "full" in the tube. I'd say to maybe pull the "U" tube back out, insert the airline again and suck the air out of it again and see if it fills up...

Yes, I made sure I have the right hose

LOL...So when you added the 10ft hose, did you change the hose that connected the pump to the nozzle or did you change the hose that connected the prefilter to the sump? If you changed the hose between the prefilter and sump to the 10ft length rather than the hose from the pump to the nozzle, then it wouldn't work. I just wanted to make sure you added the 10ft hose between the pump and nozzle(LOL)

I have the right hose. The prefilter hose has not been touched since I connected it the prefilter/overflow box and the bulkhead on the sump.

I am trying to get ALL of the air out the U tube. Not that easy, I keep getting a mouthful, LOL! I need to try again, BRB!!@!@U!*

Well, just make sure you have enough water in the pre-filter where it sucks from and on the otherside. Also, your "U" tube is longer on one side than the other right? ( not a perfect u) I'm pretty sure that the longer side goes to the bulkhead side and the shorter to the tank side...Double check that...

Back