Sump Help for Dummies?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

garnet13aj

Hi!

So I've been thinking for awhile of setting up a sump, but I'm completely clueless when it comes to plumbing and I don't really know anyone who's familiar with both plumbing and aquariums. Is there anyone out there that would be willing to help guide me through the process by directing me to some helpful links and answering some specific questions that I have as I plan out how to put it all together? I've read a number of basic descriptions about how sumps work, but when it comes to my specific situation I'm not sure exactly what I need.

My purposes for having a sump are:

-Take my protein skimmer out of the main tank so it is more visually stimulating

-Increase the water volume

-Have a place to put some macroalgae

Tank and Sump details so far

-55 gallon glass, undrilled tank
-20 gallon sump (to go in cabinet under main tank
-There is about 4" from the tank to the wall
-There is about 47" from the top of the tank to the bottom of the sump
-There is about 32" from the top of the tank to the top of the sump

Let me know if there is any other information you need. Thanks for any help you can give me. I really appreciate it, I'm a little intimidated (but totally excited), I never really do things like this myself.

Thanks, I've actually read over the sump information on that site a number of times...but I don't feel like I could take only that information and set up my sump from there. (that's why the title is Sump Help for Dummies!). I don't really understand what kind of pump I need, how to measure everything out, how to do the overflow, how to prepare in case something happens and the siphon on the overflow breaks, to name a few things. I understand that it might be a pain...but I'm looking for someone that can be patient, check in w/me, and really guide me step by step through the process. I tried to talk to someone at my lfs about it, but they don't have much of the equipment I would need and I'm not sure that they entirely know how to do it themselves...

(SUMP)?
iI have a 300 gal reef tank i would like to see as a reef tank
Running now with just fish & 40gal sump. Ready to install 80gal sump/W G-3skimmer(BUT)Herd that i need 10 X change over per hr =3000+gph
herd that Macro & live rock in the sump helps with nitrates
also herd that macro needs a slow steady rate to grow How is this acheaved in the sump with 3000+ gph flow rate

Back