Sump Layout

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reef Monkey

I'm in the process of setting up my small 10 gallon sump/refugium and I have a quick question. Is it better to have the bubble trap set up in between the Skimmer to Refugium section or the Refugium to Return section? I've seen both versions and I was curious to what everyone thought and what is most widely used.

Last edited:
I would think that bubbles etering the fuge is not a big deal but if they get into the return section then you will have them in the display...everything I have read shows the bubble trap just before the retyrn section!

Some times when you use an in sump return pump. The bubbles are from a return pump pulling some air from any number of reasons.

Even with a external pump if the input is not very close to the bottom you could plumb it inside the sump so it is .

One way to eliminate allot of this is to have the intake for the return pump pointed toward the bottom of the sump and 1/2" from the bottom. This gives the bubbles even more time to go up!

:)

Paul

Last edited:
Plack gave a great idea. Just remember that it will decrease your flow a little.

IMO, I would do at least the bubble trap before the return, and keep the return at the right level to prevent any bubbles from being created by air getting drawn into your return. Usually 1" from the top of your final baffle is good. You'll also want to set up some sort of auto top off, since the sump is only 10G. The part that will drain the quickest is the return area, and once it does, you'll get lots of bubbles.

The Auto top off can be something as complex as a Tunze Level Controller, or as simple as mine (5G bucket, with an IV set dripping into my sump.)

On another note, if theres any chance of getting a bigger sump, go for it. More room the better!

Thanks everyone, I will be getting a auto top off setup as well probably with a 5-10 gallon container. Unfortunatley I don't really have any more room in my stand for anything bigger.

Back