Sump Lighting?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mmkeeper

When you are running your sump/ref lighting opposite your tank lighing, do you have the sump/ref light come on when the MH light goes out or when you shut off both the MH and acninc lights?

When I ran a sump light, I always liked having it come on 30 mins before the last tank light went out and go off 30 mins after the first tank lights came on. Seemed to work well...:)

I run mine 24/7 but i would imagine that you could have it come on when your actinics go off if you wanted.

I have my Fuge light come on at 10pm... then off again at 10am. Tank lights, VHO's on at Noon, till 11pm... MH's on at 1pm... off at 10pm.

So... kinda sorta opposite my tank, but not really??? hehehe

does this really help to stabilize the ph as much as i hear it does???also, what kind of lighting is sufficient for the sump light??? if it works really well, i may install a light under mine

does this really help to stabilize the ph as much as i hear it does???also, what kind of lighting is sufficient for the sump light??? if it works really well, i may install a light under mine

Not sump light, its a refugium with macro light that helps ph.

Don

Not sump light, its a refugium with macro light that helps ph.

Don

Don...I've never actually known why that is so, but just thinking about it after you posted that statement, does it have anything to do with photosynthesis? My friend uses CO2 in his freshwater tank to lower the ph and I'm assuming that the opposite would raise it with the algae using up the co2 and releasing oxygen...I'm I on track or a bad guess?:p

so adding a light to the sump will not help with the ph at night???

Nope. Krish your on the right track bud. There is a new article in Reefkeeping this month if your interested in more info.

Don

Ive got my couch light on a reverse photo period of my halides. Doesnt help with ph but keeps me from running into walls when the lights go out.

Don

ROFLMBO!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

so adding a light to the sump will not help with the ph at night???

Its not just lighting that is raising your pH... as Krish touched on... its having that light over a Fuge with Macroalgaes (Chaeto, being my recommendation), and the plants photosynthisis taking place...

I run mine 24/7. Mainly to reduce chance of macro going sexual. As Don said it also keeps me from running into furniture or stepping on toys.

so what types of lighting are you all using on your fuges?

I just purchased a new "Lights of America" Flood light. 60watts, equal to 500watt output. Bulb states on it "6700K" for color temp. :)

I have only had it over my fuge now for a week, so can't give you any endorsments, but it is nice and bright, white light (was expecting more yellow)... so my finger's are crossed!

I use a 24 inch aqualight freshwater 6700k bulb on my 20 gallon long fuge.. lights run 24/7

Back