Sump Modifications

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i am worried... my new tank will have to sit on the carpet...is that safe??? will the saltwater stain the carpet or anything?

I'd put a piece of wood or something under it to support it. When a tank doesn't sit on a firm solid base, they tend to eventually leak. If you are worried about the look, then just cut the wood to the exact dimensions of the tank and you wouldn't even notice it. As for if the saltwater will stain the carpet, never tried it(LOL) but I would imagine it would screw it up eventually:)

Trust me, If you have any kind of leak at all your carpet will not only stain but a mold will grow that you can't possibly imagine.

I had a leak that I could never find until I moved the tank and found my problem. I ended up having to cut the carpet out and throw it away.

If you can figure anyway to even put a really short stand under the tank that you can clean under, you will appreciate it later.

JMHO
Duane

the only place that will be big enough is on the carpet...i am worried about it being sturdy.... i guess i could tile my dining room...it is square so it would only take me a day to do it.....it would be the only solution...

that would be better in my opinion. It's Just, I know how much carpet costs and the other problems that can occur from molds and mildews in the house. Especially if there are children present.

Another option, I just thought about, I have seen 55 gal tanks sitting on small bricks only on the corners. That would give the carpet air so it could dry out if you have a small spill.

hope I have been of some help
Duane

i wouldn't trust a 150g sitting off of the groung on bricks or anything really....i will look into getting some tile....i can probably get the whole job done for free and it will only take a day at most

OK, I'm officially confused. You're putting the tank on the ground? Kinda makes it hard on the back to view it, no?

I'm sure I misread a word up there, or something.

no, it will be on a stand that i am going to have built....i think he was saying to put bricks under the stand.....i guess

Back