Sump Plans

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hookitbig

Any Suggestions on this sump? I have thought about it and think this works best for what I can build with the tools I have.

I think you have to many baffles between the skimmer section and the return section. You should be able to get away with an over under over for that baffle.

I think you have to many baffles between the skimmer section and the return section. You should be able to get away with an over under over for that baffle.

I currently have over under over and I still get bubbles so I am going for some overkill since I have room this time I figured why not.

This is very similar to my set up, skimmer on one end, refugium on the other with return in the middle. I really like this layout.

However on mine I teed off of the overflow to sump plumbing to feed the refugium, that way you do not need the extra pump to feed the refugium.

Mine is similar, but arranged a little different. In the first section I have my overflow, skimmer, and heater. In the middle section is my refugium, then that goes into the last section where I have my return pump. In mine there is no need for a seperate pump to supply the refugium.

I happen to like my skimmer on the end where the water comes in from the display. The refugium in the middle and the return pump section on the far end.
Make it a flow through and you could eliminate the extra pump.

would this design create stagnant water in the fuge? i love the design for my sump which i am doing this weekend so sorry to steal topic but it looks cool with fuge at end because my sump will be totally open.

+1 on the excessive baffles comment

You may want to make your return pump section larger. That is the area that will loose all the water volume due to evaporation throughout the whole tank. I suggest an auto top off system to protect your pumps. I have a very similar set-up and run my fuge off of my over sized return line. I had better luck with my heaters in the return section, also have the chiller coil there. Good luck, looks good

Chad

Back