Sump Pump Size

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Holygral

Holygral
I have a 55g and am installing a 10 g sump. I have a Amiracle pre filter with a 1 inch discharge, ( it is stated at 600 gph, is this as a gravity feed or pump with a wet/dry filter system), my drop is about 4 ft, so my return is also about 4 ft., what type/size of return pump do I need? I have been looking to the Mag pumps, unless there is a better alternative? As always thanks to all who answer

I'm not familiar with that particular pre-filter, but going on the numbers, I'd go with a mag7. That should do the trick:)

I agree with Krish on this. Mag 7 should work good. Might be able to even get a Mag 9.5 or Ehiem 1260, depending on head loss. If you looking for sumbmersible pumps.

If not look at Iwaki for external.

I've been thinking about going with a low flow through my sump. What benefits and drawbacks are there to this vs. a higher flow?

My initial thought is to do it just to save a couple bucks on a return pump.. but if there is a good reason to increase the flow I'd like to know now rather than after I buy the pump :rolleyes:

I've been thinking about going with a low flow through my sump. What benefits and drawbacks are there to this vs. a higher flow?

My initial thought is to do it just to save a couple bucks on a return pump.. but if there is a good reason to increase the flow I'd like to know now rather than after I buy the pump :rolleyes:

I thought I'd have higher flow, thus I installed a much larger than needed pump on my return. The main problem, IMO, with doing this has been that the overflow can ONLY handle a certain amount--physics, ya know. So, I ended up with excessive cavitation, bubbles, noise,etc. and had to throttle back the pump--which on most pumps isn't that good for the life of the pump nor cost effective in terms of power usage. Hope this helps.

A Mag 7 @ 4' of head is rated at 480gph while a Mag 9.5 is rated at 800gph. If your overflow is only rated at 600gph, the Mag 9.5 would be too much for you, IMO.

Back