sump pump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

maverik

hello all

i have just bought a 75 gallon set up off e@?y complete with sump and all bits
my question is does anybody know if this pump is suitable for the return flow back in to the main tank it is an amphibious p8000 specs(Efficient high performance pump designed for continuous use. Considered the most reliable pump in the world. Outstanding reliability delivered by the unique disc shaped remote magnetic drive impeller and ceramic bearings)
thanks for all help in advance

cheers dave

I think it would depend on what you are going to use your tank for. Other factors to consider is how much head pressure you will have going back to your tank as well as the associated plumbing, i.e. 90 degree elbows will reduce your rate of flow if you have too many. A healthy tank water turn over rate to strive for is 6-10 times per hour. IMO more is better, especially for a reef tank. At 3' of head your pump is rated at 673gph working at optimal conditions. If it were me, I would opt for more flow, but then again I always want more. :)

At 3' of head your pump is rated at 673gph working at optimal conditions. If it were me, I would opt for more flow, but then again I always want more.

Read that again. Flow rate is 673GPH @ 3 meters. Flow rate @ 3' is about 1500GPH. :)

the pump is rated @8000 litres per hour i was going to use it on a 75 gallon tank and a 25 gallon sump tank!
it is a fish only tank as i have a reefer already my reef is 100 gallon.....

Last edited:
Dave,
Your right, your pump is rated at over 8000 LPH, but that is at 0 metres of head meaning that the intake of the pump will be at the same level as the discharge. Unfortunately, that is not normally the case with aquariums. I'm guessing that most people have their sumps directly under their aquariums so only have roughly 3' of head pressure or 1 metre in your case. If that is your case, then you are actually getting about 6,600 LPH or about 1500 GPH as Meche stated above. In my case, I have my sump and return pump located in my basement with about 12' of head pressure taking in to consideration of total lenth of pipe and fittings. My Sequence Barracuda pump is rated at 4500 GPH at 0 head but since I have about 12' of head pressure, I am only getting around 2,000 GPH. The bottom line IMO is you have plenty of turn over for a fish only tank. I would be more concerned as Krish stated above of wether it is saltwater safe. Hope that helps.

hi all got hold manufacturers and it is not saltwater safe it has copper based parts that have contact with water (bummer)

thanks all

Back