Sump Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cookie

cat
What is a sump and why do people have them? I have a 75 gallon tank and I have had it just shy of a year and I do not have one. Should I?

ya you should.... you dont have to, but IMO it makes life eazyer... (if done right)

your sump will alow you a spot to move your heaters, your probes, your skimmer..

and a ATo Makein the daily water top off's NO Moss

Picture323.jpg

my 10 under my 30
Picture322.jpg

and my new one thur the wall behind the 75
Picture3002526.jpg

Picture3002524.jpg

hold on let me change these this looks bad.

Last edited:
A sump is a tank, or container, usually kept under your display tank. Water drains from the display into the sump and then is pumped back into the display. This allows you to keep all of your equipment (heaters, ATO, reactors, skimmer, etc) in the sump, out of view. It also allows for larger water volumn, more filtration benefits and, most importantly, a place to have a refugium.

Is this something that can be added to an existing 75 gallon glass tank. What if I added a hang on the back of the tank refugium or a canister...is this the same thing?

Is this something that can be added to an existing 75 gallon glass tank. What if I added a hang on the back of the tank refugium or a canister...is this the same thing?

It can be added to an existing tank, and although adding a HOB refugium would give you the refuge area, and the canister gets filtration out of the main display it still doesn't give you a place for the rest of you're equipment.

Alot of people use a HOB skimmer and fuge and just put there heaters and everything else they want to add in the display.
It's reallya preference of the appearance.
I'm a firm believer in at least having a refuge for macroalgae, etc..

And setting up a sump/fuge can be a simple or as hard as you want it to be. It all depends on what you want it to do for you. But IMHO It's not a requirement but a very good investment.​
If you decide to take on the task of adding any of this to you'r existing setup, I'm sure there are alot of us here to help you figure out what you need and or want :)

Hope this helps.

Thank you. I am probably a little bit aways from actually doing it but this will be the place that I come!

Back