Sump/Refugium Idea

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

FreakinReefin

Insert idiot comment
So I just ordered a sump to be custom built by Matt at CFI and had some ideas about how it should be made. I am tossing around the idea of having a split refugium...or dual refugium so I can possibly set up two different styles of refugiums. I was curious to get insight on this suggestion since this is a new avenue that I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with. I have a picture of one that is similar that I will post.

TIA!!

I would set it up so it's mostly a fuge.

Right, that's the idea. What I am curious about is if anyone here has ever done this type of set-up before. I was thinking of having one side macros and the other a cryptic type of refugium. How much real benefit would this get me and would it be too hard to truely make efficient?

IMO
Diversity is better
Unless your going to create a tank with a specific set of needs, your idea sound great.

I think this would be a cool idea. I just did a little reading on what a cryptic refugium is I think I might do this too. If I am understanding this right what I would do is make the center baffle out of black acrylic like the one shown to block the light. Then put a light over the other side to grow your macro algae.

Brian

I basically have a cryptic fuge in my overflow since i have a pump in the bottom of the overflow box. Sponges and such are everywhere in there.

I think this would be a cool idea. I just did a little reading on what a cryptic refugium is I think I might do this too. If I am understanding this right what I would do is make the center baffle out of black acrylic like the one shown to block the light. Then put a light over the other side to grow your macro algae.

Brian

That is exactly what I was planning on doing and am planning to have most of it built out of black acrylic except for the front panel and between the skimmer section and the macro section. I am going to try and seed it with a lot of live rock rubble and hopefully scoop some sponges out of my overflow in my DT to help. Would there be a better design for this objective? Should I be considering anything else? Anyone?

You could just use two standard tanks, paint one black and link the two with 2 pipes..

Check out user Bricky's thread on his setup. He has a cryptic fuge setup in his system and it looks really interesting. His has grown some crazy sponges, which is probably the main benifit. I've thought of doing a cryptic fuge as well with a HOB system that I could just hang off my existing fuge.

Back