Sump return and Closed loop! HELP!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dirtsquirt

Setting up my 30gal acrylic with a 20gal sump and trying to figure out my circulation system.

I'm running a central overflow box with 2 bulkheads, haven't figured out the exact size yet but I'm thinking 1.5" will do it

Picked up a Iwaki WMD-20RLT and ReefDevil Deluxe skimmer last night, I'm not sure the pump will provide me with enough flow to properly turn over my tank. I'd like to run 4 returns with the option of adding an additional 2 on a SQWD.

Any downfalls? I don't want to turn it into a whirlpool but I'm worried that what I have won't meet my expectations.

Wondering how I should size the returns, 1/2" or 3/4"?

Thoughts?

-Dan

Dan, I working through the same thing, but with a 180 gal. Your Iwaki will pump 420 gph, if I looked it up correctly. Are you planning on a reef tank or FOWLR? For a reef tank it is recommended to have water movement of 20-30 time water volume. So you need 600-900 gph water movement. For my 180 gal, I need 5000 gph. You want to run 4 returns. Have you looked into a Ocean Motion. Here is there website: Ocean Motion That is what I am looking at using. You can also look at Sea Swirls. If you need additonal movement, you can use powerheads on some type of a wave maker.

You won't get a whirlpool effect if you have something that alternates or rotates the flow. You will get more of a surf or wave effect. If you want more info, let me know and I can give you some of the information I have found. Thanks,
Duane

Last edited:
Interested in the info. The OceanMotion Squirt seems to be what I need, just would have to figure out a place to mount it.

-Dan

Back