Sump Tell me if it crazy or good

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jeffandlinda

overkill
Ok I picked up this system off crags list it was used as a system to hold feeder fish. It holds 100gals and has three chambers. The upper has the filters.
The system does not have to be full to work.
I am going to fill the upper part with Bio balls, the main tank will have live rock and crush coral, I will make another section and put mineral mud, macro-algae and mangroves. The last section will have the skimmer. this will be housed in a shed built on the side of my house with windows and sliding glass door.

Tell me what you think. Is it overkill? Will it work as a Sump/refugium? I will post pictures as i progress or throw in the towel..... BTW I have to give the CPU to my teenager so i will be back on after 8pm.

Pretty neat concept! Is this going to be on a reef tank? If so, it may present more problems than do any good depending on which approach you take :doubt: Bio-balls working in a wet/dry environment for starters are nitrate factories! Also, you will have quite a bit of maintence to keep up with quite possibly if you add in live rock as live rock sheds and if there isn't sufficient flow to remove the detritus etc out of the sump, if allowed to sit, will degrade your water quality. Some people will say just leave the sand and rock for the tank, but every setup is different and you'll have to go with what works best for you. The fact that this sump holds about 100 gals of water is a +plus+ as it will add more stability to your system with the extra volume. Just simply plumbing this sump inline with just water passing through it will be a benefit your setup. Just a few thoughts I figured I'd toss out. If it were me, I'd probably use it to house a skimmer and setup a nice fuge with a macro algae for nutrient export and that's it, but not necessarily the only way and the right way. Just my preference. I guess the others chime in soon. Good luck with what you decide:)

Yes to reef tank

i'd skip the bioballs, as they will become a nitrate factory.
I am still new to reef tanks mine has been up and running for about 6 months. But everything I got was from established tanks (2+years). The only thing is its running on a canister filter and I understand its better to go to a sump.
If I don't put live rock in it. Is crush coral ok? I have about 70lbs of it. Plus extra live rock. Please feel free to let me know from your experience on how I should set this up.
Thanks for the suggestions need all the help I can get and its great getting it before I set it up.:)

Lots of flow

Pretty neat concept! Is this going to be on a reef tank? If so, it may present more problems than do any good depending on which approach you take :doubt: Bio-balls working in a wet/dry environment for starters are nitrate factories! Also, you will have quite a bit of maintence to keep up with quite possibly if you add in live rock as live rock sheds and if there isn't sufficient flow to remove the detritus etc out of the sump, if allowed to sit, will degrade your water quality. Some people will say just leave the sand and rock for the tank, but every setup is different and you'll have to go with what works best for you. The fact that this sump holds about 100 gals of water is a +plus+ as it will add more stability to your system with the extra volume. Just simply plumbing this sump inline with just water passing through it will be a benefit your setup. Just a few thoughts I figured I'd toss out. If it were me, I'd probably use it to house a skimmer and setup a nice fuge with a macro algae for nutrient export and that's it, but not necessarily the only way and the right way. Just my preference. I guess the others chime in soon. Good luck with what you decide:)

The system comes with tubing on the side to add 5 jets just needs an extra pump.
Would the mineral mud ,micro algaes and Mangroves be ok. I"ve been using it on my system now with a HOB cpr Refugium. So far my tank looks good. Thanks for the Help....

the macro and and mangroves.... is ok... i dont think the bioballs is a good idea.....

you said your useing a canister filter?

you will have to cycle that new rock... if your gonna add 70 lbs + sand
also the Crushed coral you might want to use just live sand... the crushed coral can catch detritus (same as bio balls)

you might want to consiter a skimmer in the sump... free flowing. with lots or algea growing...+ light

No Bio-balls

I'll keep the Bio-balls and crush coral out. Should I put anything in the top filter compartment or leave it free flowing? I will be putting a big skimmer in the last compartment. The one I have now is a HOB skimmer and i know its not big enough for the 125gal but I figure it was better then nothing. Is it ok to add a cleaning crew. Sorry for all the questions and thanks for all the help....

P.S. Anyone want some Crushed coral....:)

Should I put anything in the top filter compartment or leave it free flowing?

The top filter section would be a good area for either a Filter Sock, or Filter Floss (depending on how it is setup) to help remove particulates before they reach your sump.

That is ONLY... IF... you are willing to do the required maintenance with having a Filter Sock or Filter Floss in your system. They both need to be changed out RELIGIOUSLY, every other day!!! If you don't keep up on that, then the particulates they are catching start decaying, causing more nitrate and phosphate buildup for your system.

Personally, I enjoy my system running as "maintenance free" as possible, so I've skipped the Filter Sock idea... and only use one when I'm cleaning my tank, then remove it once I'm done. Not as good as having one always filtering out the particulates, but better than neglecting its maintenance, and allowing other problems.

Put the skimmer in the first compartment. The theory being get as much out of the water and then let the refugium deal with what the skimmer can't remove. Your skimmer will work better and the refugium (cheato and mangrove) will put a final polish on the water. I would just leave the top filter compartment free flowing.

I put the skimmer in last on my refugium and immediately lost a bunch of skimmate production, but it still was an improvement over no refugium. So it will work the way you have it set up, but would be better with the skimmer first.
-chris

I have heard poor things about miracle mud. I tried giving mine away for free and no takers. Seems to promote algae. Most tanks I have seen it on have had algae problems.

Back