sump upgrade

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jnance

Sailing Anyone?
im currently using a 30 gallon tank for a sump, and want to install plexiglass panels or plastic ones or whatever to make a constant flow through the sump to make it more efficient. because right now my sump looks like a new tank in the store with nothing in it (besides my heater,skimmer,plumbing,and return)its all open and theres no directed water flow. how can i do this? what materials? and should i just use regular silicone? thanks everyone!!!:)

If your return is not pulling microbubbles from the skimmer back to the tank I wouldnt do anything. I like my sump without baffels. Its much easier to clean.

Don

Alternatively you could consider just adding one partition, in order to keep the skimmer section with a consistent water level.

Also, I heard somewhere that using acrylic partitions in a glass sump could cause the glass to crack, because the acrylic can expand a lot in heat/water. I'm really not sure how true that is though.

because the acrylic can expand a lot in heat/water. I'm really not sure how true that is though.
I suppose that this difference in expansion rates may well be true, but in the environment of a reef aquarium you shouldn't be seeing the type of large temperature fluctuations that would make it an issue.

I'll also second what Don said, pretty much if it aint broke, don't fix it. In the past I had used a twenty tall for a sump; no baffles or anything fancy, just straight through. But my new setup has a fancy-schmany IAP sump with all sorts of baffles and holes and what not. The only part that really makes a difference to me is the skimmer section; it is nice having a steady water level in there because many skimmers are sensitive to flucuations in water level.

Hey Jnance, I say go for it. That old 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' analogy didn't lead to the Space Mission and games like Bioshock :) If you are curious, go for it.

I use acrylic partitions in my glass sump, but my temp is always at 78. If it were to be a problem, the acrylic is going to bend a lot easier than the glass (you are using THIN acrylic here), and if you are still worried about it, you can cut them short, and fill the gap with silicone.

I think adding a baffle for the skimmer area is a grand idea, especially depending on how your skimmer deals with water level changes.

I also decided to add a fuge to the sump, so I baffled off the return pump area and was left with a small fuge area. Keeping the return pump baffled off helps keep the chaeto and detritus from getting sucked up into the pump and damaging it.

Hey man, I live in post falls. Let me know if you ever want to come by and check it out, I can show you what I'm talkin about.

Last edited:
Baffels serve two functions, trapping bubbles and maintaining water level. They were a must before ato's became a dime a dozen. Get a ato, and kill two birds with one stone. No sump fluctuation and tank gets topped off. My ato keeps the baffel less sump within 2mm. Unless your wanting a fuge or somthing like that, baffels make sump cleaning a PITA. I do think a little fuge is cute to look at but as far as being useful, it takes alot of fuge to acomplish anthing drastic.
As far as the expantion of acrylic thing goes, if they are installed properly there is no issue at all. Silicone dose not adhere to acrylic. The baffels need to be cut a bit short then siliconed in place. This creates a expansion area and a dado of sorts to hold them in place.

Don

Last edited:
ok so im totally oblivious as to where to start, just regular clear silicone? and where do i get the acrylic? can u cut it with a skill saw? and yes i want a fuge, id like to see what my skimmer does with constant water level as well. could someone post a link, or draw me a picture on paint of what positions the baffels should be in the sump? either one would be greatly appreciated, im excited to start..... :) also TheJ yeah id like to come check it out, i always like seeing peoples setups!!! ill pm you.

Jnance, there is all kinds of information here on building sumps w/integrated fuges! in fact, If you search for 'DIY sump' you will get all kinds of hits. To get you started:

I used 'aquarium grade' silicone (Lowes)
I used acrylic from a single sheet -I forgot the thickness, i'll get back to you (Lowes)
I cut the acrylic up with my Dremel tool
Heres some pics of my sump:
http://thejerrod.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=12 (poke around that page)
http://thejerrod.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=12&pos=71 (running w/water)

And the famous rolling chaeto ball:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_7f16uri-SQ (always have to post this one when talking fuges :p )

Hit me up man, just give me some notice and come on over

I used glass baffles in my sump, I went to a local window shop and asked them if they had any scrap that were big enough for what I wanted, I got more than I needed for free. I then went to home depot and got a $7 glass cutter and did all my cutting myself and since most window scraps have at least one smooth edge you don't have to worry about getting cut on the sharp glass. You can get silicon about anywhere and it sticks to glass much better than acrylic.
I like Don's ato ideas but I don't really have anywhere to put one so baffles work fine for me and cleaning them just gives me an excuse to do more with my tank.:rolleyes:
Good Luck!

Tim

I have built several sumps, on my tank setup site you can see how to cut glass and assemble a refigium. I would also recomend, if you are not comfortable with cutting glass, let the glass company make your cuts. They usualy do it for about a buck a cut.
http://www.wichitaaquariumclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18&page=2
This is a 20 gallon glass tank
9684520G_Sump_1_.jpg

There should be no reason it would not turn out like that. It was my second diy fuge.

I used emorey cloth. It seemed to hold up better than sand paper. DonW is right if you use glass for baffles the edges are sharp, unless you get them cut for you and ask for finished edges.

Back