sump water level and baffle height

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

coral_watch5

Hi,

I am setting up a 120gal with a 55 gal sump underneath. I want to have a refugium in the middle of my sump with baffles on either side. Water in from aquarium and pump/protein skimmer would be on one side and return pump would be on the other side of the refugium. Water flow would be over the first baffle, under the second, and back over the top down into the refugium. If I make the baffles 10 inches in length with the middle baffle 1.5 inches off of the bottom, does that then mean that the max water level in my sump will be 11.5 inches and the minimum water level 10 inches? If I increase the distance between the middle baffle and the bottom from 1.5 to say 3 inches, then I would have a max water level of 13 inches and a minimum of 10 inches. I plan on having an open top with MH pendants so I will have alot of evaporation. Three inches in a 55 gal is about 7.5 gallons. (231 cubic inches = 1 gal) Do I have this right?

the water level in the sump will be the height of the tallest over baffle, unless you add a float switch that is above that. To find out what kind of water is going to drain into the tank when the return pump turns off, just take the measurements of the tank, LXHXW (in inches) and devide it by 231. This will give you the ammount of gallons that will drain in the sump. From thier do the same math on the sump and see if it balances.

Mike

Mike pretty well covered it. I have a indriectly related side note from my experience with sump levels and skimmer performance. If you are using a Venturi style skimmer you will want to be sure to not have it under too much water. The deeper the pump the more preassure it has to work through to get proper air injection, so you may need to raise the skimmer up a bit..

more detail - and question about evaporation

I will be using an 120 gal AGA with the built-in overflows, so I am not sure how much will drain into the sump once the return pump is shut off - a few inches? If the water level in the sump is the height of the tallest overbaffle, then where does that leave me as far as evaporation goes? It would seem that I would want the height of water in the sump to be as much as the middle under baffle, which will be 3 inches off of the bottom of the sump. If I use 10 in baffles, then the water level in the sump should vary between 13 (full) to 10 (minimum) inches. Am I confused? I just want to have leeway for some evaporation - because I will have an open top on both the main tank and sump.

For my protein skimmer, I plan on using the AquaC EV180 with the Sen 700 pump.

Thanks for your help.

Cliff

Hey Mike, if you take LxHxW and divide by 231 you get the volume of the tank. Not how much will drain into the sump. LOL
If you take LxWxDifference between operating water level in the tank and the break siphon hole in the return line divided by 231 you get how much water will drain into the sump. I know you know that, just wanted to make sure it was clear.

I you have overflows could you use LxWx2"(approx) for the water volume?....seems like I remember that from somewhere

Hey Mike, if you take LxHxW and divide by 231 you get the volume of the tank. Not how much will drain into the sump. LOL
Hey Steve if you take a measure on how much the tank will lower when draining you can then use that measurement. As in: if the tank drains one inch down (dictated by the height of the overflow fins) then you go LXWX 1inch.

Coral_watch the water in the tank will drain to the lowest point of the teeth of the overflow, using about 3/4 of an inch. So measure that using the formula I gave and then measure the overflow water also. Now you will know how much water will drain out, then do the same for the sump on what room is available and you can see if they match.
On the water level of the sump it will be just above the over baffle (as a minimium). Now if you install a float switch it will be at what ever height that is.

How it helps

Mike

LOL Mike I understand, thats not what you posted though or I completely misread it. Just dont make me a sock puppet. LOL
Steve

Yea I guess I didnt get detailed enough, my bad. You live another day brother,lol

Mike

Back