sump?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

daytonaconnecti

iam wanting to use this 15gal sump/fuge, point me in the right direction as to what pump size i need to what overfow as well, as to dos and donts,this unit will set next to my tank. thinking of using one of my cl pump setups to run the sump, ideas welcome

I would be looking for around 500-700 gph any more and you may run into mirco bubbles pushing to much water to fast through the sump and defeat the purpouse of the sump. most pumps will give you a flow rating with head loss. there is a lot of different pumps available. are you using an external or internal pump?? if internal I would go with a mag7or a mag9. as for the overflow are you going to put a hang on overflow or drill the tank?? if hang on again most have ratings for max flow

I would be looking for around 500-700 gph any more and you may run into mirco bubbles pushing to much water to fast through the sump and defeat the purpouse of the sump. most pumps will give you a flow rating with head loss. there is a lot of different pumps available. are you using an external or internal pump?? if internal I would go with a mag7or a mag9. as for the overflow are you going to put a hang on overflow or drill the tank?? if hang on again most have ratings for max flow
one of my cl setup i was thinking about using has a 1330 gph rating with just over 4ft head, i think the box said that puts it around 1220 gph so i dont know, its a quiet one 5000 pump

If your going to run a closed loop as well as the sump i wouldn't be as concerned about the high amount of flow from the sump. Just as long as its doing its job. IMO and agreeing with WA coral 500-700 would be fine.

If your going to run a closed loop as well as the sump i wouldn't be as concerned about the high amount of flow from the sump. Just as long as its doing its job. IMO and agreeing with WA coral 500-700 would be fine.
i was hopeing to use one of my cl .for the sump, and save a little money, and not add another pipe to the tank

if you use a pump that produces too much flow, just put a ball valve in the return line between the pump and the display. Then, you'll be able to throttle the amount of flow coming back to the display.

HTH,

Rob

Wouldn't the point of a closed loop be that its closed? Any open pipes in the sump would risk overflow. I was always told to separate the two. Thats what i plan on doing.

You do not mention the size of your drain. You can only put in as much as can drain out. On the CL system is your tank already drilled for this? A actual closed loop does not run through the refugium. It takes tank water and recirculates it back through the tank. I do agree with the amount you should get flowing through for a refugium. A sump may allow a little higher flow rate but not much. A refugium with plants in it will add more benifits, The plants produce oxygen when the light is on over them and they also will reduce nitrates. Plants also add CO2 when the lights are off.

You do not mention the size of your drain. You can only put in as much as can drain out. On the CL system is your tank already drilled for this? A actual closed loop does not run through the refugium. It takes tank water and recirculates it back through the tank. I do agree with the amount you should get flowing through for a refugium. A sump may allow a little higher flow rate but not much. A refugium with plants in it will add more benifits, The plants produce oxygen when the light is on over them and they also will reduce nitrates. Plants also add CO2 when the lights are off.
1'' here are a few early pics of my setup, View attachment 37670

View attachment 37671

View attachment 37672 one pump is hooked to a scwid, and the other pump feeds a tube that goes down the back of the inside and pushes water under the egg crate that the lr is on.

Last edited:
i was hopeing just to run the one pump as a return back from the sump to where it is now, and just add a overflow box to get it going

Yu might try a overflow box that has two drains, but I do no think you would have a big enough resevour to keep up with the out put. May give it a try and see if it would work. Make sure you keep the overflow box clean. Very interesting in trying that though.

after thinking about it it might be better to just keep the cl as is and just add another return to the tank... what is the best set up to get the return water back to the tank, what i mean is just run a pipe just under the water, or what?

Last edited:
When you add on the sump keep in mind that the pump return line will be a siphon if you loose power. All Glass drills a small hole under and in the crook of the elbow or 90. Since yours is not internal you may drill a small hole just below the water line and at a slightly downward angle. When the pump is working it will expell water out of the hole, when the power goes out it will suck air through and break the siphon. Always test things out when you are home, don't rely on a untested modification when you are away.

What is the other pump for? Do you have 2 closed loops? On the return and drop for your sump you only want the inlets and outlets to be at a depth to where your sump can handle the siphon volume when a power failure occurs. So i would recommend that you use an overflow box for the sump/fuge and that the returns are close to the surface of the water.

With that being said you have a closed loop system to take water from anywhere you choose in the tank and out put it anywhere you choose as long as it is Closed.

What is the other pump for? Do you have 2 closed loops? On the return and drop for your sump you only want the inlets and outlets to be at a depth to where your sump can handle the siphon volume when a power failure occurs. So i would recommend that you use an overflow box for the sump/fuge and that the returns are close to the surface of the water.

With that being said you have a closed loop system to take water from anywhere you choose in the tank and out put it anywhere you choose as long as it is Closed.
the two cl setups iam using is for water movement only,two cl two pumps...i need to make a seperate setup for just the sump, over flowdown to the sump then a return pump back to the tank

I would take one cl out and use the pump if strong enough for the fuge/sump. You can just split the intakes and returns on one cl and get as much direction as you need off the pump for it, depending on gph.

I would take one cl out and use the pump if strong enough for the fuge/sump. You can just split the intakes and returns on one cl and get as much direction as you need off the pump for it, depending on gph.
the pump i would be using from my cl is a 1330 gph with the h/l gives it about 1220 maybe alittle less, according to the box it came chart

Back