Sump?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

speedyrb29

Im thinking about starting a salt water tank and have some queastions on sumps. which is better a hang on tank sump or a sperate tank sump under the tank? Also if u use an under the tank sump how do u set it up i have no clue.

That is a very good question. To begin You need to ask yourself several questions. What do you want to keep in the tank. sps lps softies clams anemone fish only. Then how much room under the tank do you have. Do you want a intank or external skimmer. Do you want a internal or external pump. Are you going to incorperate a refugium into your sump. All of these and more will effect the final design. My advice is pretty simple. Ask people to post photos of thier sumps. Look at them, at the tank, and ask what would you do differently if you had it to do over. I will post you a photo of mine. If I had it to do over, I would of used a asm g-2 skimmer. I would of had the sump drilled and used a external pump, I would sectioned of a part for a refugium. I hope this helped you in some way. There will be many more answers with better shares as you become more certain of the type and method you want to design you sump after. Steve I also added a photo of a friends life reef sump system. Very nice/Very High dollar.

I would go under the tank all day because you can get a way bigger one. Acrylic is ideal but not neccesary. You can buy a cheap glass tank and use silicone to add in dividers. I have a 20 long with no dividers but have planned out how things are arainged. It is up to you.

I dont plan on keeping any sps or clams due to there need for intense lighting, but i do want to keep fish soft corals and maybe some lps possible an anemone in the future. Under the tank i only have room for probly a 10 gallon, if i used some type of big plastic container i might be able to find something a lil more than a 10 gallon. I dont really know the differance between an external and or intank skimmer so i dont know what 1 i would want to use, same with the pump. and i thought a sump and a refugium were the same thing. i apperciate all help with my queastions.

wrightme43, is that a check valve in you plumbing, if so so you have a need to clean it, do you test it?

Hey Brad,
You mentioned that you don't have dividers in your sump. How are you preventing bubbles from returning to your tank? I also don't have dividers in my tank/sump and so I'm relying on impromptu baffles. Could be better though.

Thanks

Speedyrub how big is your tank that you are talkin about? The research ive done for my 90g lead me to two ways, a Remora Pro which is a good HOB skimmer, or (since i dont want to drill my tank) get a LIFEREEF overflow that leads to the sump with a ASM G-3 skimmer, HTH

jiddy i have a 20 gallon tank, and i have an old 10 gallon that has no leaks so i think i could use that for a sump.

Back