Sumps need cleaning too!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
I just wanted to share a photo with everyone to show you why sumps need to be cleaned out too incase you didn't know. I have only had a problem with algae growing in my sump (fuge section) and have only had nitrates get as high as 10ppm since my tank has been up and running since August. I have been wondering why I could never get my nitrates down to 0 even with all of the water changes. I decided that maybe it was because of the few pieces of LR I had in my sump so I decided to remove them today along with the algae on the fuge sections walls.. Besides what I washed off of the rocks in the sink and the algae I washed out of my net, here is a photo of what I vaccumed out of the bottom of my sump which had about 700gph of flow going through it 24/7. I have now removed the rock and will just dump some chaeto in there without it. I am going to check my nitrates later after the water has settled to see if there was any drop.

I hope this info may be useful to someone else.

Sump cleaning

Alot of times Krish when i do my water changes I drop MJ 1200in my sump and let it mix every thing up and I keep my skimmers running while this is being done I leave all other pumps off except for the skimmers and in about 20 min it seems to clear up. Well the skimmers needs cleaning then:mad:

The Apprentice said:
Alot of times Krish when i do my water changes I drop MJ 1200in my sump and let it mix every thing up and I keep my skimmers running while this is being done I leave all other pumps off except for the skimmers and in about 20 min it seems to clear up. Well the skimmers needs cleaning then:mad:

Aw come on, you gotta do something with your life!!!:D :D :D :D

charlie, remember krish has a newbie on the way. he' d better get used to his hanging out days being over....lol

charlie, remember krish has a newbie on the way. he' d better get used to his hanging out days being over....lol

LOL...Our days here have 48 hrs instead of 24 hrs. I'll always have hanging out time here...:)

Back