sun coral hitcher

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

soccer4fish

I recently purchased a sun coral from the lfs and have found a purple ?something? under the orange skeleton of the coral. It retracts to light. I'm assuming it is some kind of worm. Can anyone help me here? Wondering if it is harmful and if I need to remove it. and how? Any help is appreciated. I can't get a real good look at it so I can't describe it any better.

I searched for the peanut worm however I can't see enough of it to say that is what it is. Should I pull the coral out and try to remove it?

First link must be down but it will come back up. Second link goto the left side colum and click info links then goto to hitch hikers tab on same side to bring up list.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to have to try and catch the little bastard to find out what he really is. I can't see enough of him to compare for an id. Thanks again.

Peanut worm will retract into themselfs and wont move to often. If it is then its ok. But hard to tell from description. If ever unsure then a freash water dip or high salinity dip should drive it out. Better safe then sorry.

Almost all reef hitchhikers are part of the 1000s of flora and fauna of a healthy reef and are completely OK. Unless a hitch hiker is positively ID-ed as a predator to some of your desirable inhabitants, I would leave nature alone

Back