Sunlight through a window

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

shadofax

I was just wondering if sunlight through a normal window would be sufficient to gor and propagate anemones. I have about 6' of window that I could use to set up various frag tanks and wanted to see if anyone knew if the windows filter out desirable frequencies of light. Well if anyone knows or has used windows to light their tank please let me know.

Thanks,

Not in Indianapolis. Not by a long shot. My friend got one to split with just Power compact fluorescent (PC) lighting but most will argue that metal halides (MH) are required for most anemones.

Last edited:
Why not in Indianapolis? If it is no in Indy I am pretty sure it is a no everywhere then because the window is removing the helpful light. Are you saying the windows remove the helpful light?

I don't know about windows but I know there are a few guys here in WI that are lighting their SPS tanks with solar tubes.

FWIW
Brian

I'm not talking about spectrum, I'm sure there is a wide variety of windows that block/transmit a wide variety of spectrums.

The shear intensity is far below what you need to keep an anemone. In nature these these things grow in the tropics under only a few feet of water.

I am assuming you are talking about common hobby anemones found in most stores, not the cold water type.

If you had the hours per day of light & in a similar type of sun room you could use light from directly above, or solar tubes but you still need a full days light like closer to the equator.

How come it seems like my bulb tip anemone hides itself from the light then? It tucks itself into crevices, out of the majority of the light? You'd think light-loving creatures would seek out the light!

Yeah I have seen the solar tube. Hmm I wonder how work would feel about me cutting holes in the roof :D. I wonder if the plastic used in the solar tubes are anything special that allow increased UV transmission. I think that a lot of windows today have a special compound mixed in to cut back on UV so people can enjoy the sun and not get burned. Hmmm is UV highly important for anemones or is the light required in the visable portion of the spectrum.

Anthony Calfo's Book Of Coral Propagation mentions that there is nothing that compares to natural sunlight. There are several section in his book that cover the subject.

Coral propagation is possible from natural sunlight even in places like Seattle. I think you need to look at the number of hours of direct sunlight through the window. You might have to have artificial lighting x hours during x part of the year. Worth looking into. I will see if I can dig up some links.

Yeah, Calfo has successfully propagated many species of coral including some SPS species in PA. My main consern was the window since it is not greenhouse glazing I did not know how it would effect the spectrum of light from the sun. Thanks for all the links Jason I will be sure to take a look at those.

Also scooterman you are correct you should match the amount of light that they get naturally to get maximum growth and health. I will probably supplement with a few hours of artifical light a day to make up for the lack of light up here in Indiana.

Back