Super Activated Carbon Turned my Water Black?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jaygalindo

Mariners Fanatic
So I am running some Super Activated Carbon in one of the drawers of my drip tower and I followed the Rena directions saying to rinse under tap water but does not have to be rinsed clean. I did this and bam, black water. This is on a frag tank with no livestock in there currently. Will this go away? What to do cause I don't want t do a water change because its kind of a big system that just finished the cycle and all the diatoms are about gone.

Use a filter sock and blast everything off in the tank many times. Eventually the sock will capture all the carbon particals. Next time as others have said, rinse it very well first...

Are you running it in a reactor??
I like to run tap water through mine for like 5 mins then run RO/DI water through it for a min or two then your ready to go.

no run a filter sock or filter pad and blow the rocks and sand off every day till it clears up..

I have done this before but my water wasn't black just all my rocks and sand and glass

A good rinsing in ro/di water is the way to go. Also, on a side note, where your drip tray is concerned, is the cabon exposed to air? If so, I'd try submerging it. :)

Back