Superglue Gel Underwater?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mad921

I've read a few places that superglue gel can be used to glue underwater.

In this case I have a candy cane coral that I want to attach to a piece of rock that I can't remove from the tank. My plan is to put a few dabs of glue onto the base of the coral while it's out of the water, then place it into the tank and secure it to the rock.

Is that safe? Just want to make sure before I do it...:confused:

It is safe. The gel will hold but not nearly as good as if you had dried the rock off a little.

Put a drop of superglue on the end of your finger and rub it onto the spot underwater where you are going to glue the frag. Then put some glue on the frag and press it onto the same spot. This helps with binding to the rock.

Or, you can glue the candy cane to a small rock out of the water (good adhesion) and use a marine 2 part epoxy to attach the small rock to the larger one. Put the 2 part on the larger rock first, push the small rock in the center, and work the epoxy up around the base of the larger rock.

The 2 part doesn't hold as well as it would done dry, but folded up over another rock it seems to do a better job than superglue, IMO.

I use superglue gel and it works really well. Infact, I just used a bit more yesterday during a water change to put down another small frag:)

You added another frag Krish and didn't post pictures?!!!!!!!!

Shame on you!

ROFL! Not quite...I fragged the little I had to make it look like I got more:p I will update my cube's thread later so you guys can see how the tank is doing these days:)

Put a drop of superglue on the end of your finger and rub it onto the spot underwater where you are going to glue the frag. QUOTE]

How do I get my finger unglued from the reef? Getting tired of sleeping standing up and hate using my sump for wrong purposes:D

Seriously, any reason to not use the superglue tube as the applicator in the tank?

When I tried to apply the superglue gel with the applicator underwater, I had little or no control on where the gel went, and it seemed to clump up and not be very effective. I haven't had much experience, but I hope that helps

When I tried to apply the superglue gel with the applicator underwater, I had little or no control on where the gel went, and it seemed to clump up and not be very effective. I haven't had much experience, but I hope that helps

You guys glue your frags underwater??? That's a new one to me! I pull out the rock and the coral and do it outside the water!:D

Actually I wasn't working with frags..was using rubble to test the feasibility of using the gel in the future (to attach small frags)...it didn't work! :)

I glue all my frags with gel. (out of water) You can always hold the coral in water upside down and dry the base to glue if it is a sensitive coral.

Put a drop of superglue on the end of your finger and rub it onto the spot underwater where you are going to glue the frag.

How do I get my finger unglued from the reef? Getting tired of sleeping standing up and hate using my sump for wrong purposes:D
:D

Hey, nobody said this was a hobby for wimps! :D
Well I've never ended up stuck to my tank, but you do end up with glue on your finger for a while. A finger works better than using the applicator directly, because your finger can conform to the surface and work the glue into the rock surface. Also water speeds the hardening of the glue, so using your applicator might cause it to clog up sooner.

I got this tip from Fragman (Paul) who is very good at it. i have mixed results - sometimes I get the frag set very firmly and sometimes I get a poor connection and have to redo it eventually when I knock the frag off.

Back