Superglue Gel Underwater?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I'm trying to find something to glue 2 live rocks. I want to make a bridge but am afraid that if I don't glue it on it could fall over and damage something. Does anyone know if AquaStik™ Red Coralline would work well under water?

I think if you are really worried about them falling over you need to dry off those two rocks and do something more structural. Maybe drill a hole through both and put an acrylic rod through them. Or, build a pvc support and zip tie the rocks to it. Two part epoxy also works much better if you allow it to cure dry, but I wouldn't trust it for something structural. Good luck!

I think if you are really worried about them falling over you need to dry off those two rocks and do something more structural. Maybe drill a hole through both and put an acrylic rod through them. Or, build a pvc support and zip tie the rocks to it. Two part epoxy also works much better if you allow it to cure dry, but I wouldn't trust it for something structural. Good luck!

I agree with Andy...:)

The epoxy is much stronger than super glue which is a bit brittle, but to work even half decent, must be cementing dry surfaces. Use concealed plastic ties.

SuperGlue works great for gluing zoos to the glass and the overflow.

Put a drop of superglue on the end of your finger and rub it onto the spot underwater where you are going to glue the frag. Then put some glue on the frag and press it onto the same spot. This helps with binding to the rock.

Good idea not to keep your finger in one spot too long, tho. Would make for an interesting 911 call, tho..."hello 911...yeah...I just glued my finger to a 40 pound rock......."
Works great, tho. (once you get the hang of it) Be careful touching outside of tank after you glue the frag, tho. Bonds instantly to acrylic. (I still have a dot of it on the outside of my 26 gal. tank, lol)

I also use super glue gel to attach my frags. (Just did 7 more last week after a frag swap.) I wait until the absolute last moment to take the frag out of the water, apply a blob (do you like that technical term?) of glue, put it back into the water and attach it to the rock. In my experience (limited as it is), it seems to solidify a bit when it hits the water. I end up having to use a little more glue than I would with a normal item to get good adhesion. :D Hope that helps.

Back