Surface Film

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LarryB

I am new to reefing and have a 29 gallon tank set up for about 4 months. My question is about the surface film on the water. Is this normal? I have a Rio powerhead that stirs up the surface but that only hits part of the tank. Do I need a surface skimmer for my BakPakR2?
I have about 30 lbs of rock, DSB, 2 peppermint shrimp, 6 hermits, 1 porcelain crab and a small frag of green star polyps.

with a HOT skimmer surface skum other than the fact it exists is probably a good thing. If it is on the surface your skimmer is more likely able to full it out. Adding flow and surface disturbace while good for air/water exchange with cause the scum to mix into the water colum more and not skim as efficiently.

Ways I might try to remove skum not just from sight, but from the water period:
- If you are feeding the tank, stop or cut back significantly. with just a clean-up crew they can live off the rocks.
- Upgrade to a larger skimmer
- Install an overflow to a sump with a more efficient skimmer. This IMO is your best option as it will increase your flow, while improving skimming and keeping the film of the top of the tank.

Sounds like organics, usually good surface agitation will take care of it. A good skimmer is always a good plan to.

Mike

what i do is run my penguin and just take out the bio wheels and just put in simple phosphate pads or carbon pads, depending on how much money i have

Last edited:
The surface skimmer for your bak-pak sounds like the easiest thing to try first. I don't think you need a bigger or better skimmer, just a way to keep the top of the water clean.

You have good options listed for removing the apperance of surface film. Where I was going was to also help reduce the organics in your tank which is essentially what the surface film is made of. As long as you tank levels are good and healthy, surface agitation is probably the easiest solution.

its not only organics but also dust and other crap that floats around your house. i just bought a dyson vacuum and i swear i could sweep the floor everyday and still pick up a rediculous amount of dust and pollen, by far the best vaccuums on the market. but also i keep a humidifier in my room with a aquarium to help cut back on dust and water evaporation.l

You know its funny, when I first stated this project I had a dollar figure in mind for total cost. Of course I have since tripled that amount, but my tank makes me happy, so how can you put a price on happiness? Funny thing now is I have to get an air conditioner for my apartment for the summer and a Dyson vacuum. I have to admit I did not see those coming.
Reef On!

Back