SWC 250A

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

epicenter

I have a SWC 250A & find it very hard to regulate. It sits in 7" of water & if that changes even the slightest bit it overflows. The foam head either is just below the top of neck & not spewing over, or overflowing if I barely adjust the wedge. Does any body have this problem & if so, how did you correct it? Thanks in advance..... Chris

well, this is the case with any in-sump skimmer... it must have a stable water level in order to operate efficently.
i would say you need an ATO to maintain your sump level, and a gate valve on the skimmer outlet if you wish to make finer adjustments.

The Askoll SWC skimmer will need to be in 6 inches of water or less. I run my SWC 300a in 4.5 inches of water and it runs great. I have found they like less water depth, once achieved it is set it and forget it.... Let me know if you have any additional issues with it. Where did you get it from?

What Mike said. I had the problem/fustration epicenter described with my Askoll powered skimmer, lowered the water level to about 5" and it became as consistent as my Euro-Reef. I have it in about 6" of water now, I increased the water level because after a few months the skimmate production dropped off and I wanted it to produce more.

Thanks for the replies guys. I do have a ATO in the sump so water level runs consistent for the most part. I don't think I can achieve less than 7" of water though due to the sump design it self. Can I put something under the skimmer to raise it higher in the water? Is the bottom of sump to top of water the critical measurement, or skimmer pump inlet to top of water? MrGone I do believe this skimmer came from Reef Filtration.

Yes, you can use something under the skimmer to raise it. For my current build I made a stand out of light diffuser(egg crate) and zip ties.

i had mine sitting in 8" of water and i kept the foam head at the base of the neck. no issues with it at all when i had it running on my 210g tank

7" is the depth for the most power to come from the pump, but yes it would rob it of some of that power slightly if you ran it in less water, i.e. 5-6" making it easier to control, so a trade off there. i think using a gate valve on the outlet is a better way, but it is basically free to throw a make shift stand under your skimmer. :)
im betting your using a air pressure switch style ATO, and it probably fluxuates an inch or so... you might try the floating electrical switch type of ATO, most maintain a more exact water level

Last edited:
Maybe I should figure out how & where to put a gate valve on this thing. The gate valve must replace the wedge pipe right.

Maybe I should figure out how & where to put a gate valve on this thing. The gate valve must replace the wedge pipe right.

yup, none of it is glued, just pull off the "T" w/ the wedge, and put on a slip fit (2" i believe) gate valve in it's place, then put the "T" on top of the valve.
you could actually use both, make a rough adjustment with the wedge, and then fine tune w/ gate valve.

Last edited:
Back