Swirl Steins with Koralia 4 Mods

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dngspot

I have had these running for just over 24 hours and the flow is terrific. The pumps on the end of the Swirl Steins are a set of mod’ed Koralia 4’s, I am way impressed on their flow alone. I have the complete build thread at my local site. They are inspired from an old thread on RC. The build thread is pic intense and the instructions are clear.

Swirl Stein Build
http://wichitaaquariumclub.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1361

Koralia Mods
http://wichitaaquariumclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1394

DSCF00353.JPG

DSCF00363.JPG

DSCF00491.JPG

The items on top of the box are the arm and ring for the second box.

DSCF0050.JPG

I did something simular to this except I used a Wavy Sea with a k2 super glued to the out put end. I love the flow that it creates. I think this option gives you the most random water flow even better than that of a CL system.

Can I ask what are all the tools you need to build a Swirl Stein and what was the estimate cost to build one?

I used a dremmel with a sanding barrel and cut off wheel. I also used various drills. To cut the pvc is used a cut off saw but, a hack saw or pvc cutter would work.

I did something simular to this except I used a Wavy Sea with a k2 super glued to the out put end. I love the flow that it creates. I think this option gives you the most random water flow even better than that of a CL system.
…Yea, the flow it pretty incredible. I had AC 70 mods pointed at each other, there is no comparison. An Oceans Motion Squirt does not seem as random either.
Pros
No drilling my tank, can be removed easily, two small cheap pumps doing the job of a large expensive pump.
Cons
Two pumps hanging down in my tank.

That is the way I see it, anyway.

Man I wish I can DIY this stuff. Not to good with this kinda stuff:confused:. Where would you get all the parts for this stuff? If you don't mind, maybe making a list of parts on here so we can have a better idea of what we need to complete the project.

dngspot,

I checked out the link to your build thread. That's a very cool project. What is your estimate for the total cost of materials?

Motors were about $13.00 after shipping. The rest about $13.00. This incudes the Swirls.

The Koralias the impellor $15.00 at the LFS, I know that I can get them cheaper on line but, got to through the LFS a bone now and then. Props and carbon rod about $6.00. The Koralia 4's $40.00 shipped each.

Man I wish I can DIY this stuff. Not to good with this kinda stuff:confused:. Where would you get all the parts for this stuff? If you don't mind, maybe making a list of parts on here so we can have a better idea of what we need to complete the project.
Go to my local site and you should find a list of parts needed. If anything is missing ask and I will help.

This DIY actually is pretty easy to do.

The most difficult part is sourcing the material. Finding a box that was just the right size was the toughest for me.

This DIY actually is pretty easy to do.

The most difficult part is sourcing the material. Finding a box that was just the right size was the toughest for me.
Finding the parts was not that difficult. The motors came from eBay, the rest from Home Depot and a hobby store. The boxes are a standard out door electrical box and the rest of the pvc was found in the same isle. The screws came from the hardware isle. I guess the acrylic rod was somewhat difficult. I ordered from a local store 3/4 rod. I asked for a 12 inch piece, they said it would be 2.95, I was good with that. When I went to pick it up they also charged an additional 6.00 to cut it from a larger piece. Then when I got it home I realized it was the wrong size, too small. The next piece 7/8 inch came from eBay at under 6.00 shipped. I will not be making that mistake again. The tie rod came from a local hobby store. That is pretty much it.

:lol: My point was exactly that this project is so simple to do that the most difficult part was sourcing the the material which in fact wasn't all that difficult. well except for the box since I could not find one of the right size in my local Home Depot or Lowes.

looks good!!! think i will make three with the maxijet 2000gph mods for my 125gal!!! thanks for the info kutos to ya!!!

For the last couple of days I have been having trouble with the left Swirl. I keep breaking the ring around the down tube. The problem was the pumps are putting allot of force on the down tube which is causing down tube to press on the sides of the bushings, the parts that are glued to the box. This causes a bind at the weakest point, the top or bottom of the stroke. I did give some thought to this when I was building the units and put food grade grease inside those bushings and the down tube.

The fix, remove the ring and wipe that worthless grease off and use bearing grade lithium grease. They are running smoother and working less. I must have broken 3 of those stinking little rings. I am getting real good at making them too.

I have beefed up the ring also, they do not look as cool but, you can bet that it is not going to break anymore. I have to say, those little microwave turn table motors have a bunch of torque for as little as they are.

Back