Swirl Steins with Koralia 4 Mods

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

No, and I am very happy with the motors I have. I have heard that they have low torque. The Koralia 4 mods are heavy and push against the down tube, a bunch of torque is needed to move them.

I cut them from 1/8 inch acrylic. Then drilled a hole where the center of the cross would be. I used a small round metal gouging bit to take the arms away from the center hole. It takes about 5 minutes

Along with the mods I did with the old units I have done more. I have removed the grey pvc and installed clear 3/4 inch O.D. acrylic tube. I was going through my stuff and remembered that I had a solid piece of 3/4 inch acrylic rod. The bearings that I am using are 3/4 inch I.D. This allows me to do minimal machine work. The problem with the rod is, I want to pass the cord through the tube. Then it came to me that I have about 4 feet of the tube that I used for my calcium reactor bubble counter. It turns out it was pretty close to 3/4 O.D. but just a bit too big for the I.D. of the bearing. So I took my dremmel, with a sanding drum, to it and with a little work I was able to fit the bearing snugly to the tube. It looked a little rough so off to work and I cut them smoothly on the lathe. If I did not have it I would have just used the dremmel, the portion that is machined is covered anyway.
I also removed the pivoting knuckle; we kept the K-4's pointed up about 5 degrees to keep the sand from blowing around. Off I went to the miter saw, and I cut 5 degrees to the bottom of the tube.
The first one is up and running, what a difference. They are much smoother and cleaner looking. I am very happy.
Here they are.

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

Back