Switching To Freshwater Questions.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bosco83

My wife wants to switch her 60g tank in our bedroom to a freshwater planted tank. I am in the process of breaking her tank down and I was wondering how clean I have to get it? I figured suck all the sand out and clean the sides put her substrate in and let the tank cycle. Then I realized how much coralline algae she has on the back of the tank. Should I just leave it and let it die off in freshwater? If not I guess I'll just have to take her tank outside and clean it with vinegar water.

Thanks,
Brian

I left quite a bit on my overflows when I switched over to a planted tank. Since I'm dosing CO2 the Ph runs low and dissolved the coraline just like a Ca reactor.

FWIW, my FW planted tank is as much headache as any reef tank.

We also don't really plan on making a serious planted tank just some easy to keep ones. I don't think we are going to be using co2 just good substrate and T5's. We are hoping that's enough to keep some easier plants for a more natural look.

Its enough. I have a 29 gal fw planted tank. I am not running co2. I am running an airpump 24/7. The plants are growing like crazy.

I've used a clean utility knife to get coraline algae off the glass. Doesn't seem to scratch the glass.

Unless you're going to be keeping african cichlids in the tank, odds are the pH is going to be below 7 in order to grow the plants and keep the fish happy. This ought to be enough to dissolve the coralline algae on the sides of the tank/overflows.

Nick

I figured it will just jump start the cycle with the few pods I couldn't save and maybe a couple small snails in the overflows.

Brian

If you fill the tank with fresh water the coaline will fall off afte a short time, then just rinse it out, set it up and let it cycle like you said.

Back