switching to reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

slo1

I am hoping to convert my old school saltwater tank to a reef. I have some loyalty to a couple of 14 year old damsels and a hawkfish.

Can I cycle live rock, sand, and a refugium, in a seperate setup in the garage, then redue the display tank when its fully cycled?

Thanks.

Yes,
But i would suggest containers with tight lids. The gases from you cars could mix in the water. You could purchase rubbermaid containers and drill the smallest hole possible for electrical and then tape it closed.

I would do a few large Tupperware container's not sealed.... Light is not needed... But If i was doing it... i would want lots of light (i would wanna know whats there first b4 entering)

heat... Movement.. no light not sealed... monitor salinity
i would let the rock establish a little as well as cylceing... and then slowly add to the system...
after you got you rock all in place, rdy the sump setup.

Gl

is this a auto shop or something... do you leave your car running for hour's in your garage...

its not gonna hurt if you let your car warm up b4 use... but if i plan on running a pipe from the tail pipe on the car to the container then you might have a problem,

Thanks for the insight. I may have some more questions when I get closer. This is a great forum.

Mike

Back