T-5 Lights trip my GFCI

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jaredpilot

Alright, I have finally setup and established my 160 gallon tank. I'm running two K-5's, a mag 12 return pump, two 300 watt heaters, a Vertex Skimmer, 4 48" T-5 lights and LED Night lighting.

My issue is that when I start up my T-5 lights at the same time, they almost always appear to trigger the wall mounted GFCI unit. The GFCI is not the outlet being used by the aquarium. The real problem is that it takes everything off line and I wanted to setup the lights on a timer system when I'm gone. This situation has the potential to devistate anything I would purchase and have in the tank unless I'm physically there to make sure everything goes smoothly. I've had to run an extension cord to the adjacent room to avoid this circuit..

Any idea of how to fix or get around this?

check your breaker for what amp it is. if its atleast a 20 amp breaker then upgrade your gfci to a 20 amp gfci. here is a pic.

GFCI20-20full.jpg

if it has the little slit then its a 20 if not then replace it.

First off, most probably you already have the properly sized GFCI, so changing it out probably isn't safe, I do not recommend that advise unless you know for sure it is a 20amp circuit. What is on that circuit? Apparently the GFCI Is Indeed on your fish tank with all of that other stuff you said otherwise when the lights trip the GFCI the rest would still be working. Very good chance your overloading the circuit or the inrush of the lights tripping the GFCI. You need to determine what is on the complete circuit, how many more outlets are on the breaker for it. Was the GFCI added for your fish tank? It may be as simple as relocating the GFCI to the other outlet that is running everything else & just using a regular outlet for the T5's. Sometimes lighting does affect the GFCI's but in most cases there is a cause for that.
So go find the main breaker, see what amp rating it is, then with it off check to see how many outlets it is on. Then If the GFCI was added for your fish tank, then you can do the swap, If not then you will need to relocate some of your power to another circuit. There is no way around that to be safe or in compliance with local codes. If you ever have an accident or fire because of that, your insurance won't pay if your not operating within code, so you don't want to fight them

Well the circuit is for the dining room only, the GFCI unit is actually located in the adjacent kitchen (which is not being used by anything). There are three standard outlets in the dining room, only one outlet is being used for all the equipment that I've listed. I'm unsure how many amps the breaker is, I will check this weekend when I get back home. I believe your probably correct. I'll probably have to run an extension cord to the other room that runs on another circuit. Just won't be as clean as I was looking for...

The GFCI outlet is most probably protecting all of the regular outlets, you don't need a GFCI for each outlet for it to work, it will cover all outlets down stream of the GFCI. So If you do Indeed have a 20Amp breaker then you can do as FOW said but you CAN'T Swap the GFCI from the kitchen, that would break Code, You have to keep that one If it is there for water protection! If the is the case then you need to call a local Electrician to see what would be allowed in your situation.

To change a 15 amp breaker to a 20 amp breaker, you would have to make sure you have 12 gauge wiring, in the walls. Otherwise, you're asking for a fire. If you put a 20 amp breaker on 14 gauge wiring, the wiring could fry before the breaker tripped. If you have 15 amp breakers, I would almost guarantee that you have 14 gauge wiring.

Thanks guys, great info, I will have to check the size of the breaker before proceeding! Once again, thanks for your the help! Happy Holidays!

Breakers are sized to protect the wiring. Think about this, you put a bigger breaker on a circuit designed for a 20 amp breaker, the wires could short out & start an internal fire anywhere, like deep inside a wall. So unless you replace the wiring to a larger size for a bigger breaker then you can't do it.

Jared, sorry I didnt respond to your PM. Call me when you get into town early next week if you can wait that long. I know a pretty good electrician. ;)
I'll be out of town until monday.

Jared, sorry I didnt respond to your PM. Call me when you get into town early next week if you can wait that long. I know a pretty good electrician. ;)
I'll be out of town until monday.

Not a problem Duane, wasn't sure if your pm box was full but this time of the year is busy for everyone. I'm out of town also at work until Monday so that should work just fine! Happy holidays, talk to you soon!

Not a problem Duane, wasn't sure if your pm box was full but this time of the year is busy for everyone. I'm out of town also at work until Monday so that should work just fine! Happy holidays, talk to you soon!

Perfect, As soon as I get home from my moms, my in-laws will be here. A few hours out of the house will be a real good thing. :badgrin:

I have a few ideas up my sleeve to solve your problem. Ive been wiring kitchens and baths (up to code) for near ten years now.

Also, anyone else reading this. A quick visual reference between a 15 and 20 GFCI is the socket. The 20 amp has the "T" on the left side (the outlets shown above are upside down). I'd be shocked and amazed if your house doesnt have the 20s Jared. Its too new to not have them.

Perfect, As soon as I get home from my moms, my in-laws will be here. A few hours out of the house will be a real good thing. :badgrin:

I have a few ideas up my sleeve to solve your problem. Ive been wiring kitchens and baths (up to code) for near ten years now.

Also, anyone else reading this. A quick visual reference between a 15 and 20 GFCI is the socket. The 20 amp has the "T" on the left side (the outlets shown above are upside down). I'd be shocked and amazed if your house doesnt have the 20s Jared. Its too new to not have them.

Sounds like it will work out great for both of us. I'm excited for you to come and take a look at it all setup now!

That Tee is typical for regular 20amp outlets also but residential outlets are common 15 amp & not 20, excluding the GFCI's. Mainly because they are cheaper.

That Tee is typical for regular 20amp outlets also but residential outlets are common 15 amp & not 20, excluding the GFCI's. Mainly because they are cheaper.

All of the new construction outlets (over the last five years) in the Seattle area Ive seen are wired with 20 amp breakers and 12-2 wiring. The outlets are the same, the only difference is the cost of the romex wiring. It seems the full time elctricians find it easier, or simply, you never know which room is going to be an office with three computers in it.

Codes do vary but NEC sets the minimals which almost everyone follows in the US. I always like to exceed minimal myself.

Codes do vary but NEC sets the minimals which almost everyone follows in the US. I always like to exceed minimal myself.

Your right about the NEC.
IME on the west coast. Every city takes those codes and adds to them to keep us contractors on our toes. I can guarantee you If I pull a permit for the same job in Oakland, Berkley (both Ca.) Seattle and Bellevue (both WA.) the city codes and required minimums will be different for each city. I know this from experience.

Back